Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: mk3 zephyr hi-rider back home

Images
    can you get plan C done for the supernats ? even if trailered would be nice to see it getting some use around the camp site,

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    so the above 'plan b' has a flaw...... when i make and fit a tube axle the steering column will be changed so the headers would need re re making so plan c will be get the knackered headers, cut about 1 1/2" from each pipe between the flange and bend and splice in a new/secondhand bit of pipe. they'll then fit as is and i'm able to do the hotrod drags before the front/rear axle/wheels/steering/header work. not that i'm indecisive but i think that's a definate probability as it's the cheapest easiest way to get me out in it for now
    Sounds like a good compromise to get you out and about in it Neil.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Quote Originally Posted by farncombe pop View Post
    can you get plan C done for the supernats ? even if trailered would be nice to see it getting some use around the camp site,
    That is an option Paul. I'll have to see if I can borrow a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by v8pop View Post
    Sounds like a good compromise to get you out and about in it Neil.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Yes I'd like to use it a bit before the winter teardown Tim.

so off on a tangent this evening i had to make room in my van to fit an austin 16 chassis i'm collecting from karl (misfit) tomorrow. but the little pontiac engine and box from a 55/6 gmc truck was still in there and it's bloody heavy . so john (my son in law) and me got the box, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, generator, dizzy and inlet/carb off in an effort to lighten it. then i backed the van to the garage door, we put the van spare with an old tyre on top and another old tyre in front of them behind the van and rolled it out onto the floor. other than finding that yes it still had (had being the right word ) oil in it it went well.
    here's the bits in the garage

Looks good and looking forward to seeing the changes
    Cheers
    John

this evening i made a start on the header bodges.....erm, i mean repairs firstly i unwrapped the n/s header to see how bad it was. mmmmmm..... the top was ok but where the pipes get toward the collector they are shall i say, past it so now we're on plan c and a 1/2, use the new n/s header for now and cut up the old n/s one to repair the o/s so i cut a second flange off the o/s one, trimmed the frilly pipes back and bolted it to the head along with the 2 cleaned up flanges. next 2 suitable sections were cut from the doner side and placed in situ. that's where i'm at as i need to dig out the mig from it's slumber and burial place in the garage more soon

Looks like you've got it well in hand Neil.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

I hope so Tim, I'm looking to get at least the o/s done this evening. If I can get the new n/s one fitted too with the exhaust cut and welded to suit that'll be a bonus. Cheers, Neil.

plan 'c' 1/2 went to, well..... plan the o/s frankenheader is ready to refit
    gave the welds a quick nib with a soft pad then got told off for using the grinder at 9.30pm when people are in bed i'll refit it tomorrow as well as the new n/s one

Bin there and had that bollacking as well Neil, nice work mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

looks like a good project neil, did you know putting dents in the tubes increases horsepower
    be quiet when you leave.... mr munn lives right around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eddison View Post
    looks like a good project neil, did you know putting dents in the tubes increases horsepower
    of course, that's why i did it

one down, one to go
    and yes i know the nut's not back on the uj bolt yet

got the new n/s header on this evening. didn't get it hooked up to the exhaust as it was late by the time babysitting duties were over. still it's another job done

oh and here's a pic of the new pertronix 3 dizzy and coil

hmm sparkly bits, theres something about bolting on new parts, or maybe I'm just weird
    be quiet when you leave.... mr munn lives right around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eddison View Post
    hmm sparkly bits, theres something about bolting on new parts, or maybe I'm just weird
    i like sparkly bits too , but that's not to say you/we aren't weird
    the ignitor 3 dizzy comes 2 ways, the cast body that i got and the billet body (as i fitted to the 390 in my anglia) that's more shiny but more expensive too. tough for me not to go shiny but the money difference (enough to pay for new red plug wires) made me put my sensible head on

well open headers it is then
    somewhere along the line by rebuilding the o/s header it ended up 1/4" shorter so the exhaust doesn't reach also noticed the reducer that side has rusted thin enough to split 1/2 of the lip away. so f**k it i thought, off with it's zorsts
    so supernats won't matter as it's off the trailer and across the show field and hotrod drags definately won't matter so....
    i'll make the new zorsts with my flowmaster mufflers when i do the headers, when i do the axle, chassis, steering..........
    i've got a busy winter ahead of me it seems

Cool man, got to love an old english ford. i had 2 mark 2 consuls one with a manual 3lt v6 and one with a rover v8, a mark 2 zephyr, 2 doored straight 6 auto and a consul classic. Never had a mark 3 though, reliving old times, nice one.

cheers pete, yeah i've had a few mk2/3/4 zephyrs/zodiacs/consuls but only one mk1 and that was a consul. stock to v6's to big v8's, especially in mk4's as they have a huge engine bay. it'll get a new chassis/floor/bulkhead like the anglia when i get round to it but for now just some upgrades for looks/reliability.