Thread: BHRA & the Pioneers.

Images

BHRA & the Pioneers.

Found this whilst sorting out some old paper to print stuff on (I use old A4 sheets with printing on one side, to save costs!!). It's actually a copy of the original letter that I have stashed away somewhere in the vaults!! I reckon the date would be 1961/2 as the Mr Peddle concerned was John Bennett's partner in Spa Engineering (Ted Peddle, his sister's husband at the time) & obviously JB wasn't yet involved at this time with the BHRA. He joined just after the meeting mentioned in the letter & became chairman & founded Santa Pod 3 years later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img478.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	33743

The writer was Vic Outen who became secretary & who I became very good friends with later on & who supplied me with most of his BHRA memorabilia shortly before he passed away.

30 years after this letter, JB & I formed the BHRA Pioneers club (for people involved in the sport/hobby in the 60s) & held a reunion meeting near to where the meeting mentioned took place, the original cafe had gone by then & the replacement didn't open at weekends, so we met at a nearby pub where some of the original members attended. Sadly, a few here have now passed away.

L to R: John Greenwood, Geoff Jago, Sally Greenwood, Vic Outen, Brian Sparrow, unknown friend of Clive Linguard, who's standing next to him, John Bennett & Rick Goodale. Seated are Ann Bennett & Dick Lawrence, & me behind the camera!!

I have been asked when the Pioneers are going to reform but to be honest, I don't know where I found the time to edit a monthly newsletter that I had to print & post (no t'internet then!) to members (approx 50 at the time!). If I did do it again it would probably have to be online in Facebook or something, but who knows when!

Name:	BHRA Aug 1991.jpg 
Views:	995 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	33744
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

Images
    That`s a nice `find` Mo`, history indeed, and headed by Brian Coole who was secretary at the time. I remember going to Brian`s dad`s American car breakers in West Drayton in the early `60s with my bro-in-law Ron when he visited the nearby big British car breakers for some parts for his F2 stock car!; and also in the late `60s when me and a mate pulled a 265" small block from a roached `55 Chevy! ...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Hi Mr Tee

If you did reform the Pioneers again I would certainly support the efforts made to keep one of the formative hot rod and drag racing club names alive and with today's modern times the use of Facebook wouldn't be a bad idea as I'm finding out with my own FB project page; UK Drag Strips That Time Forgot!

Jerry

Images
    Found an old concertina file in the loft whilst mining for Xmas decs(!), spent most of last night going through it all & thought I'd post this scan I did today. Nothing toodramatic but basically it's the proof of the ad Vic Outen placed in numerous publications to promote the upcoming car show in the Hyde Park underground car park. This is indicative of the amount of time & effort Vic spent on publicising the club, there are loads of newspaper clippings, magazine pages & even several copies of Model Cars mag, due to the popularity of model building & slot car racing & the clubs involvement with both. I'll post some more when I get time but for now here's the proof scan, I've included the envelope as that gives you the date.

Name:	img538.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	34005
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

Images
    Nice find Maurice .
    `Esq`... you don't see that these days!...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods