Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter to MP for Air Quality consultation

Images

Letter to MP for Air Quality consultation

URGENT ACTION REQUIRED
    The government have published a consultation on proposals for improving air quality and safety . This is generally about the VW emissions scandal and how to test emissions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ity-and-safety

In this document on page 16 , 4.10 to 4.13 it is proposed that all vehicles going through IVA from this July will have to conform to new car emissions limits . In short this will kill any chance of a Hot Rod or kit car passing . The current rules takes the age of the engine to determine the emissions limit .
    If you are building , thinking of building or relying on getting your modified car through IVA , we all need to act fast to stop this . The consolation only runs until March 2nd 2018 , time is of the essence.
    To help, you need to create awareness to this consultation to all effected people. Everyone needs to reply to the consultation and say no to the Kit Car section. You need to write or email your MP to express your thoughts against this proposal.
    We have drafted some letters to use to write to your MP and some points to raise while replying to the consultation, feel free to copy them or use parts to write your own letter.

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am writing to you to bring your attention to the Governments “Road Vehicles Improving Air quality and Safety’ consultation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ity-and-safety

I am very concerned about the section containing Kit Cars, Page 16, 4.10 - 4.13. In this section it is proposed that all cars going through Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) would have to comply with current new car emission laws. IVA is a “Super MOT” that a kit or modified car has to pass to be registered or re-registered. Some kit cars and vehicles such as conversions for the disabled are based on new cars, so compliance would not be a problem, but modified classics would never pass these emission laws.

The technology in a modern engine with computers controlling emissions is out of reach of the average person building a modified classic or kit car, even the manufacturers have been caught cheating. At the moment emissions checks carried out at the IVA test are based on the current MOT limits and are determined by the age of the engine and not the car. This is a fair way to determine compliance and does not need to change.

There are people all over the country building cars in their garages. They have considerable time and money invested in their projects. If these proposals are implemented it will kill a multi million pound industry dead, part suppliers, craftsmen, magazines, car shows and charity donations to name a few affected areas.

I feel with a relatively short consultation time of 2nd February - 2nd March 2018 and an implication date in July this year, that this is not a consultation but a notice of intent. There is no time for due process and no time to consult, only to take initial opinions.
    There is obviously a lack of understanding by consultation authors on what type of vehicle uses IVA and of the DVLA rules for obtaining original vehicle identity.

The recent EU Road Worthiness Testing Directive due to be implemented this May, directs “substantially changed” vehicles towards IVA. If this proposal goes through, IVA will not be an option for these vehicles.

The “Kit Car” section of this proposal needs to be dropped as it is totally unusable.

I hope I have given you some insight into the situation and I urge you to take this up with the relevant Minister as soon as possible, or a whole way of life for many people will be lost forever.

Yours faithfully,
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt !

Done , posted and emailed

Done and thanks for putting that together I did add a little which was how it will affect my project
    cheers
    luke

Images
    Done

Images
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt !

NSRA member
    Thanks firestarter , all done

NSRA member
    Sent a letter and done survey.
    Well done all involved.
    Everyone needs to jump on this as soon as possible, not much time left. T

Sent from my K013 using NSRA mobile app

Images
    Also done, with a slight tweak of the wording (implementation, instead of implication!!!).
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

Sent to my very local MP with personal additions and consultation completed.

Done. Completed survey, e-mailed letters to local MP, local councillors, under secretary for roads and copied to shadow transport sec.
    You have to get older, but you don't have to grow up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Done. Completed survey, e-mailed letters to local MP, local councillors, under secretary for roads and copied to shadow transport sec.
    what he said

Images
    sent to mp

Got a reply from our local guy.

“Thanks for your email Dave. I’m going to ask my casework team to look into this issue, and will get back to you once they’ve done so.

With kind regards
    Paul

cid:image001.png@01D34CB8.A1CE1F50
    Dr Paul Williams| Member of Parliament for Stockton South

( 0207 219 0372
    www.paulwilliamsMP.co.uk”

NSRA member
    Sent the email to local MP yesterday, Sir Kevin Barron. Had a reply from local councilor Jacquie Falvey, she wants me to get in touch to discuss in more detail. Is this advisable ? Cheers Malc

Images
    Done

Done, 3 emails sent to MPs & relevant questions answered on online consultation form.
    Thanks to all involved in putting together the letters & contact details.

Images
    I have done this but also added the point that although the hobby sector and the associated supporting industry is significant, the proportion of vehicles represented on the road is not and will have little impact on the overall reduction of emissions if this were to be implemented

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I have done this but also added the point that although the hobby sector and the associated supporting industry is significant, the proportion of vehicles represented on the road is not and will have little impact on the overall reduction of emissions if this were to be implemented
    EXCELLENT point
    Galations 6:7

Images
    Is it also worth stating that this small quantity of cars are for pleasure use,not daily commuting cars ,and as such only cover approximately 1000 mile per year ,so any gains made to improve air quality would be negligible .

Edit,NO SCRATCH THAT IDEA. See post # 22.
    Last edited by Captain Scarlet; 13-02-18 at 10:34 PM.