Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Prefect

New guest
    How did you read my mind. The plan is to bring the c pillar forward so it does have the lean too it, so will see how it goes and keep posting

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveg View Post
    What's the plan with the doors? You gonna stretch the Prefects? Or as R.E.M has said use Pop doors? Either way remember to take pic's as you go. Here from you soon re frame and bit's.
    As you know Steve there is very limited parts available so will lengthen doors but also incorporate the swept forward pillar fron the rear door.
    No rush on the frame from my end as it's not going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
    How did you read my mind. The plan is to bring the c pillar forward so it does have the lean too it, so will see how it goes and keep posting
    Great minds think alike, so they say. That or we're both as mad as each other, you choose

Something like this then........not a very good mock-up just some ideas I was looking at for my own project 4 door 7W which I still haven't (and maybe will never get) started........Pop front doors, forward leaning B/C pillars using rear door trailing edge profile and stretched rear side window opening..........be great to see how you get on with yours, its looking good so far
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford 10 7W side view_2 door.jpg 
Views:	1117 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	38134

Quote Originally Posted by saltyseadog View Post
    Something like this then........not a very good mock-up just some ideas I was looking at for my own project 4 door 7W which I still haven't (and maybe will never get) started........Pop front doors, forward leaning B/C pillars using rear door trailing edge profile and stretched rear side window opening..........be great to see how you get on with yours, its looking good so far

that's just what i was thinking

That's a looker mate!

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest

That is exactly what I was thinking and had tried to photoshop it but couldn't get it to look that good, so thanks for sharing

New guest
    I made a little more progress and was pleased with the results so thought I would share as this is something that I thought would be very daunting to accomplish, but has so far been quite straight forward.

We laid out both doors and took lots of measurements

Then started making the jigsaw pieces

The results so far

The top of the rear door is a lot thicker but only needs a slight trim and it will fit perfectly with the front section. The doors overall are an extra 170mm longer, so are a total length of about 900 which by my rough guess should give it a good profile, fingers crossed on that one though?
    The plan now is to weld in the final piece and then move onto the other side so that we can try and make them match before tackling the B pillar.
    I hope this inspires someone else to get out into the shed and try something new

Nice one Simon, straight in no messing that's the way to do it mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by v8pop View Post
    Nice one Simon, straight in no messing that's the way to do it mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Yes it can drive you a little crazy when you think about it too much, so time for action

New guest
    Well life has been getting in the way a bit but have made a little more progress on the doors so thought I would share to keep me motivated.

I decided the doors weren't long enough so have extended them a little more.

and trial fitted the original skin which makes it easier to see how much they have been lengthened

The bottom of the inner doors was very rusty so I thought I would try make up a new patch section that could go the whole length of the doors and remove the rust issue. I don't have fancy tools so was out with some clamps, angle grinder and hammers.

I was happy with the basic result so just needed to make a few pie cuts to get the right shape in and even with it just tacked to the frame the door skin lined up very close

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can finish off the frame and then it will be much easier to finish off the second door as I will be able to copy the measurements, I hope.......

I also got my tailshaft shortened and it not only fitted erfect but has plenty of room around the crossmember / tail shaft loop.

Images
    I'm so glad you stretched the doors more, I looked at original the photos and thought - those are too short.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post
    I'm so glad you stretched the doors more, I looked at original the photos and thought - those are too short.
    Well done.
    agreed, much more in proportion now.

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    Thanks guys, will only know when I add the B pillar in but fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    Aye nice job indeed.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Just a few more progress pics of the door lengthening

The belt line lines up very well and I used a long flexible steel ruler to make sure I got a nice curve across the join in the panels. Today is our big Bathurst race so might find some time to finish off the bottom panel whilst watching the TV in the shed.

New guest
    A little more done this afternoon, roughed in the door skin and started on the second door frame, which is easier when you have measurements to follow.

Very nicely done

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by yjohnb View Post
    Very nicely done

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app
    Aye, very nice indeed.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

Simon - that looks spot on, even better in metal than in the photoshop mock-up......As you are making such good progress on the doors, what are you thinking for the rear quarter windows then?