Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Prefect

New guest
    It has been such a crazy time lately with all going on in life that I haven't had time to upload my progress so I thought for all the people stuck in their houses it might provide some motivation for when you can get back to normal.

I have been getting some new toys lately and first started with some stake dollies, so I just had to make a stand out of some scrap timber that I had laying around.....

I also got a Bead Roller and English Wheel for Christmas so I have started making up some floor pans for the rear of the Prefect.....

My last project has been mounting a fuel tank which came out of a donor car that I originally bought for the interior.....

Well that is me caught up so I hope that everyone stays safe and is coping with this crazy world

Well it's grate to see you back on here. Good progress, and some nice tools. Keep up the good work. Tim.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using NSRA mobile app

nice tank brackets, are you going to put 'spreader' plates under the tank lip (to sandwich the tank lip between brackets and spreaders) so the load isn't just hanging on those 4 bolts?
    neil.

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    nice tank brackets, are you going to put 'spreader' plates under the tank lip (to sandwich the tank lip between brackets and spreaders) so the load isn't just hanging on those 4 bolts?
    neil.
    I hadn't considered that as the original tank mounts are a stepped washer with just the bolt, so I will definitely look into having something to share the load better and thanks for the tip

" Well it's grate to see you back on here. Good progress, and some nice tools. Keep up the good work. Tim."

I am hoping to get the floor sorted soon and then I can move onto the fun part of widening guards and maybe a flip front

Nice going Simon, good to see some progress on here mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    I have made a little more progress fixing some rust and making some extra floor panels so I hope it is motivating for someone else to get working on their project.

I hope that everyone is staying safe and getting on with enjoying life

Hello Simon. Glad you have posted and keeping us updated,and looks like your doing well. Hope the situation over there ain’t to bad.

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fegsta View Post
    Hello Simon. Glad you have posted and keeping us updated,and looks like your doing well. Hope the situation over there ain’t to bad.

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app
    Thanks for your concern and lucky for me I am in the very North of Australia which is about 1800km from the nearest capital city, so things haven't been so stressful and we have only had to endure a full 3 day lockdown. I do have Family in Sydney however and things are getting very intense for them.

Nice to know you're safe and well Simon, nice bit of progress mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    I have noticed that a lot of people do away with the rear seat given there is so little room but I measured it up and think that I can fit one? I started with a seat frame out of a donor Fiesta that I have and after cutting it down I got it to fit between with wheel arches and still have enough width to be comfortable. I also removed the standard mounting plates from the donor car and have welded them to some mounting posts that I folded up. Height wise it is tight for anyone over 5ft 10 but will be perfect for my kids if I hurry up before they grow up

You can see in this last photo that the original seat was far too wide but I should be able to cut the foam up and be able to reuse it.

I hope everyone is getting the time to work on their own projects.

that'll work, i've found you don't need anywhere as much front to back legroom as long as you're a little bit higher.
    neil.

I agree with Neil, Simon, I've done the same. Keep it coming mate.

Cheers Tim W

Sent from my G3121 using NSRA mobile app

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    that'll work, i've found you don't need anywhere as much front to back legroom as long as you're a little bit higher.
    neil.
    I totally agree and something I had found after many years driving Landrover Defenders

New guest
    I have kept going with the back seat and as the donor vehicle had fold down seats they are quite easy to work with and to disassemble.

The seats are a bit tight against the body so If I decide to keep them folding I will have to reduce the frame size a little but at this stage I think I will fix them so removing the locking mechanism will give plenty of clearance. I am also tossing up reducing the rear window size so that will give some extra room against the seat backs too.

Onto the front seats now......

i'd be tempted to reduce the height of the backrest portion of that seat mate if it were mine. do you actually need it to be full height? probably not for it's intended use.
    neil.

Looks good Simon, but like Neil I'd be tempted to keep the rear window as is and alter the seat height.
    Just my two pennies worth.

Cheers Tim W

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Thanks for the feedback Neil and Tim. I had re-read my comment and it is actually the side windows I was meaning as they look a little long since removing the front door, but the seat does look a little high when viewed from the back window.

Images
    Are you fitting a cage ? it will take up more seat room, how about a single seat in the middle, it will allow it to be mounted a little lower and look less obtrusive. It will still have the ability fold flat if need be. How often would you think you will ride 4 up? I've only ever run 3 up once in 20 years !

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Neil and Tim. I had re-read my comment and it is actually the side windows I was meaning as they look a little long since removing the front door, but the seat does look a little high when viewed from the back window.
    just looked the the pics in post 112 (previous page) and the only change i'd consider re the rear side windows is to even the 'thickness' of the gutter to window edge piece in the slope down at the back. that part seems/looks to get thinner as it goes down. it would involve moving the bottom rear corner forward slightly while reducing the change to nothing as you go up the pillar. hope i've explained that so you understand what i mean. that little change would keep everything in better proportion as well as shortening the window slightly at the same time.
    neil.

Just looked back at 112 and I see what you mean Neil, fair comment mate.

Cheers Tim W

My Pop My Intro