Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Prefect

New guest
    Thanks for going to the trouble of mocking it up and painting, if only it was that easy in real life but you have definitely got the proportions right. I am also wondering if I need to round off the top of the drivers door to get rid of the point.

Images
    I'd add a touch more curve to the top - mimic the top of the front window.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
    Thanks for going to the trouble of mocking it up and painting, if only it was that easy in real life but you have definitely got the proportions right. I am also wondering if I need to round off the top of the drivers door to get rid of the point.
    Simon - wasn't suggesting it was going to be easy - I'm sure you'll find away if you wanted to make the change

Any updates on progress?

New guest
    It is all good salty but progress has stalled now as my wife has me making sets for her school musical.......

I still have a couple of weeks on these and the easter break but hoping that it earns me more than enough browny points to stay in the shed for a few months

New guest
    I have finally had some time to get some work on the Prefect done so here is where I am up too.

I have moved onto the other side and before I could work on the quarter I had to deal with some rust and dodgy repairs at the bottom of the wheel arch.

I then set about cutting up the quarter panel and moving it all forward again.

I then started making new panels using the same method as the other side and have gotten this far

The next 2 pieces to the puzzle are the lower quarter and the B pillar and they are made too and just waiting to be attached.

Hopefully my little update give everyone some entertainment as things seem slow and some motivation for those who are still chipping away at their own projects.

Looks good Simon.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    A couple more pieces to the puzzle added today

I have also been working on adapting some 298mm disc brakes from a local Ford Falcon to the drum spindle from the early Holden, similar to Vauxhall I believe, spindles.
    From this

to this

The front stud pattern now matches the rear diff too.

nice brake conversion
    neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    nice brake conversion
    neil.
    Aye X2
    The body Jig-saw is coming on nicely as well Simon.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Time has been short but managed to finish off my front brakes with some new custom hoses and a bracket to hold the line away from the suspension components. I have the mounts on one end for the 2016 model calipers and then a mount for the 1970 front end, so it is all neat and tidy.

Now I just need to get the rear lines modified and I can start running hard lines. Hopefully everyone else is well and getting some time to work on your own products.

Bracket looks tidy Simon, always plenty to do mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    It has been a while since I did an update so thought I would share where I am up too now.....

I have made up a Watts link using shortened arms from the original donor vehicle that I got the Diff from

I then had to mount the rear shocks inside the springs, as per the original donor vehicle. I found that front shocks from a mini were the perfect size

To get my chassis past its first inspection I have to run brake lines and had some good ones from a donor vehicle but they needed straightening. After looking at the price of tube straighteners and realising it was a waste of good beer money I decided to have a go at making some of my own with random things I had in the shed.

It does a great job and only took about an hour to make.

Last but not least Santa bought me a shiny new set of wheels so I just had to bolt them on

I hope evryone on the other side of the world had a great Christmas / New Years and that you all get plenty of time to work on and enjoy your projects

Images
    Good to see things coming along nicely. I like that pipe straightener!

Something that has puzzled me for a long time: why is all Australian box section blue? Yours is blue, and I've seen the same colour on Aussie Youtube videos and blogs - ours is always self-colour or red-oxide.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

New guest
    I am not really sure about the colour but is there to protect it as I know bare steel where I live will show surface rust overnight

Looking very good Simon, well done on the tube straightener mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Given the chaos in the world I hope that everyone on your side of the world is staying safe. I have still been working all the way through but have managed to find some spare time to work on my car since Scouts has been on hold, so this is what I have achieved-

I have installed bump stops as this is a requirement for our rego

I also ordered a set of custom springs which turned out to be pretty spot on given the vague description that I gave to the spring guy and they even have their own unique part number

I then installed some brake lines but forgot to take lots of pics

This then completed everything for my rolling chassis and 1st inspection, which it passed with no issues or corrections.

I have then moved onto making some new floors as the original was plywood

Now I just need to decide if I am going to make the original rear section fit or bend up a whole new piece

That is all for my progress and I hope everyone stays safe as it seems from news reports that the COVID crisis has been a lot more serious for the UK than it has been in Australia

Nice to see your still at it Simon, she coming on well mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Thanks Tim,

I am plodding along as time and finances allow

Admin
    Hi Simon - I just re-read the whole thread start to finish, doing this brings home how much work you have done and progress you have made. Keep up the good work, build threads like this are truly inspirational.
    "Praise the lowered"

My Intro

New guest
    Thanks Doug, It is great to know that my work is appreciated and I have been sharing as other peoples projects gave me the confidence to give it a go