Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Prefect

Images
    Nice fab work, love that vice tool as well.

Who cares If It's glass or steel, It's still a hot rod.

That's my type of fabrication work Simon, well done mate and with basic tool to boot. Nice one.
    That Vice Folder it a nice bit of kit.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    It looks like everyone has gone into hibernation in the UK so I thought I would share some of my progress to inspire someone to get out in the shed.

I started one of those jobs that halfway through you think "what am I doing" but in the end it turned out ok. It was stripping the paint of the wheels I built and just painting them with some rattle can clear.

I have managed to get a couple of hours in the shed today so did a bit more work on my quarter panel and got them tacked into place

The bottom of the quarter is from the old door and is only tucked in to visualise the shape but I think it will work well. Considering I made it by hand I think the swage line came out ok, but will need some finessing too. I also need to add a little more shape to the top of the window frame, and add some bulk to the rear, but I think the bottom looks ok.
    Next job is the bottom half of the B-Pillar and if we get the predicted 300-400mm of rain like we got today then I have a great excuse to get in the shed and stay out of the yard

that's some great progress. just my 2 pence worth but rather i'd thin/raise the top of the new rear window surround to match the 'front' door top rather than add thickness to the back of the opening. the second to last pic is what i'm looking at. if anything needs 'thickening' it'd be the b post window surround bit to match the door adjacent to it. not criticizing, just my opinion which you can feel free to ignore . as i've said before you're doing a great job.
    regards, neil.

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    that's some great progress. just my 2 pence worth but rather i'd thin/raise the top of the new rear window surround to match the 'front' door top rather than add thickness to the back of the opening. the second to last pic is what i'm looking at. if anything needs 'thickening' it'd be the b post window surround bit to match the door adjacent to it. not criticizing, just my opinion which you can feel free to ignore . as i've said before you're doing a great job.
    regards, neil.
    I am always happy for peoples opinions even if we use cents not pence , which is why I take the time to post, and I do agree that thinning out the top might give it a better look.

Images
    That wheel looks good - was going to say I'm not sure how well clear would hold up although in a dry climate like Australia it should be OK. Then I saw "predicted 300-400mm of rain" !
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    That wheel looks good - was going to say I'm not sure how well clear would hold up although in a dry climate like Australia it should be OK. Then I saw "predicted 300-400mm of rain" !
    I am in the tropical north of Australia so a few hundred mm of rain in a day is normal and there is a town within a few hours drive that get 4 to 5 metres of rain a year. Anything left in bare metal will rust within hours up here so clear seems to be protecting them so far and is a good solution until i finally decide what to do colour wise.

Images
    Holy cow! Apparently Oxford's average annual rainfall is around 700mm - and we have the reputation for being wet
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

New guest
    Lke others I have notice it is a little quiet so I thought I would share my small amount of progress.

I had to make up a new B Pillar and I first tried cutting and joining the old one to give the recess for the door, as the original had the doors overlap it. The result was a rough shape but a lot of work in welding, grinding and patching holes, but I thought I would share to show that we all have bad ideas and not everything works out as we think.

The metal also was in very poor condition at the bottom so my next thought was new metal but to shape it I first thought of hammering the shape out due to the curves but that too was a failure as the form was only MDF and the curve too tight so second idea a dud.

Luckily for me it was third time lucky and I went back to my trusty vice break and removed some teeth so that I was just bending a little at a time. I traced the curve I needed and slowly bent it

I finally ended up with a panel that had the right curve in it, was fresh clean metal and only required a few cuts to straighten it out and get it to fit in. Later I will be adding some extra stength to it when I do the door locks but for now it has worked out perfectly.

You can also see at the bottom of the wheel well I was able to repair the rusty section with one of the panels I first made when i bought the brake.

Next I needed to fill in the bottom section of the quarter panel and was originally planning to use the bottom of the rear door skin but after close inspection it looked very average.

The solution was to make a new one so I made a hammer form out of MDF and made up a new panel. This worked out so well I tried the idea on the failed B-Pillar.

I have started to put it on the car and this is as far as I have made it st this stage

Hopefully I will get it all tacked in over the next few weeks and then I can start on the other side, which hopefully will be a lot easier and quicker now that I know how to make all of the panels I need.

This should help wake everyone from their winter hibernation too and give you some motivation to get back out into your sheds.

Very nicely done !!
    Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

some very neat home solutions to fabbing awkward panels going on there, well done dude

Excellent fabrication work as usual Simon, can be a trial home fab work with basic hand tools but when it goes right that smile feels good mate.
    Nice going and thanks for keeping the Popular front alive, hopefully I'll be posting n a few months or so.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by v8pop View Post
    Excellent fabrication work as usual Simon, can be a trial home fab work with basic hand tools but when it goes right that smile feels good mate.
    Nice going and thanks for keeping the Popular front alive, hopefully I'll be posting n a few months or so.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Does that mean that you are on the mend now Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
    Does that mean that you are on the mend now Tim?
    In theory I'm 12 weeks away from my cataract operation then 4 - 6 weeks after that I'm allowed to strike up the grinder mate, doing some prep work in anticipation though.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

New guest
    That is great news that you have a time frame and something to aim for. All the best and hope it goes well, I know my mum just had her eyes done and wished she had done it years earlier

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
    That is great news that you have a time frame and something to aim for. All the best and hope it goes well, I know my mum just had her eyes done and wished she had done it years earlier
    Thanks Mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

Simon - it's looking good, keep up the good work and keep posting the progress pics........

Picking up on "MyGasser's" comment from January about the rear window - here's a retouched photo with the rear of the side window pulled forward (probably about 2") and the top of the rear side window moved up and curved more.....oh, and I've painted it for you.....how does this look??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aussie Simon_Prefect_Retouched.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	40747

that looks much better

Pretty much Prefect!

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app