Thread: 283 sbc running temp

283 sbc running temp

I know most people say 180 - 190 degrees F is the average running temp for a SBC but mine generally runs @200 and sometimes creeps up to 212 , I've a 15lb cap on the rad and it's never boiled over , anyone else run at this temp ?
    Cheers Tel

Quote Originally Posted by boyceeeee View Post
    I know most people say 180 - 190 degrees F is the average running temp for a SBC but mine generally runs @200 and sometimes creeps up to 212 , I've a 15lb cap on the rad and it's never boiled over , anyone else run at this temp ?
    Cheers Tel

I know this has ben an ongoing concern Tel. Have you chceked the ACTUAL temp with a laser thermometer ?
    Galations 6:7

My willys was running on the hot side. After loads of changing parts it was the timing out. The timing light was faulty. Timed it by ear and never got hot again and runs low 12s on the strip.
    Real steel

Same here Tel, my BBC used to creep up to 220 on occasions until I persevered with the timing - now it sits happily around 190
    18 'til I die
    My Intro

Don't forget that 220 isn't boiling point in a sealed system , with a 15 lb cap you are looking at 266 before it starts to boil UNLESS you take the cap off in which case you will be scaled by superheated steam as teh pressure is released.

My Pinto would run at 85c most of the time but as ambient air rose so would the running temp , used to be around 95 in slow moving traffic , dropping to 85 once crusing again.

Yes Kev , checked with laser thermometer in various places , i.e inlet / outlet of rad , inlet manifold where temp sender is and it reads between 210 & 212 , outlet of rad is about 185

Ian , did you advance or retard timing ? , I've tried mine with vac advance as well but made no difference

Quote Originally Posted by boyceeeee View Post
    Ian , did you advance or retard timing ? , I've tried mine with vac advance as well but made no difference
    Do you know what your basic settings are Tel ?
    18 'til I die
    My Intro

NSRA member
    I spent two years faffing around trying to cool a lightly warmed 350, different ‘stats, 160f stat, different fans, changing timing, vacuum advance.....but eventually the only cure was a better rad. Sometimes it simply is not efficient enough.

If you fit a 160 stat and your motor still runs 190 with fans and all running, then you simply don’t have enough radiator.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

NSRA member
    Images
    Surely the timing need to be where it needs to be? Isn't that at about 34 degrees 'all in' (meaning fully mechanical advanced) with vac advance plugged on a sbc? And if it's running hot after that it's a cooling issue, or lean mixture. Not aware of messing with timing to cool the engine - symptoms and causes?

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Surely the timing need to be where it needs to be? Isn't that at about 34 degrees 'all in' (meaning fully mechanical advanced) with vac advance plugged on a sbc? And if it's running hot after that it's a cooling issue, or lean mixture. Not aware of messing with timing to cool the engine - symptoms and causes?

Chris
    That was my problem timing to far retarded.
    Real steel

Set it to 33 degrees @ 3000rpm Ian