Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 68 valiant signet 2 door

we like to work our cars in faversham, they need to earn their way. ashley dropped off some more brick rubble in his a to b work car, a little deawoo matiz which was pretty well full!

Attached Images Attached Images   

been having a clean up of my wedding carduring evenings this week and over the weekend. it looks much better now, it hadn't been cleaned and polished for about 8+ years while in storage so the difference was dramatic.

i've been doing some jobs for a kiwi guy lately on various cars he has. latest is some rust repairs on a '46 ford coupe, the bottoms of both doors and the bootlid. i forgot to take pics of the boot before i took it back but made sure the camera was to hand when i did the doors. it was all going well with the outer skin patching until my old migatronic mig welder died on me yesterday. it's only about 30 years old too, you can't get anything to last anymore . today i had a poke about inside and after deciding it's beyond fixing i gutted the insides and cut out the centre divide so now it's a rolling cabinet that i'll put one of the mig200 invertor welders onto. i can keep the torch and leads inside the cabinet and the gas bottle will sit at the back as before.
    here's how far i got with one of the doors and some pics of the empty welder and all it's 'guts' on the floor.

Stop press! I've only got some news that's actually to do with the valiant!
    I've bought another 318 engine from the guy I was buying the bellhousing, flywheel etc from. He's replacing it with a stroked 360 but it comes complete with tunnel ram, carbs and some spares too. It's run a best of 13.2 with a 4 speed manual in his 68 valiant so it'll be just fine. I'm well chuffed
    Neil.
    Ps I got my new welder from work and it sits on the old cabinet just right.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    Stop press! I've only got some news that's actually to do with the valiant!
    I've bought another 318 engine from the guy I was buying the bellhousing, flywheel etc from. He's replacing it with a stroked 360 but it comes complete with tunnel ram, carbs and some spares too. It's run a best of 13.2 with a 4 speed manual in his 68 valiant so it'll be just fine. I'm well chuffed
    Neil.
    Ps I got my new welder from work and it sits on the old cabinet just right.
    Sounds like it's win, win all the way Neil.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Nice!
    IanT (°||°)
    "that Plymouth had a Hemi with a Torqueflite"
    My IntroBristol Hotrods

this is the engine in it's current location

Looks good from here Neil.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

We love tunnel ram lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using NSRA mobile app
    Real steel

Quote Originally Posted by crumble View Post
    We love tunnel ram lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using NSRA mobile app
    yes mate it's a nice early edelbrock tr5, i think it looks the nuts

Next change..... I sold the supra box for a profit and bought a mustang 5.0 t5 box for £200 less. Plus the t5 came with a gearstick which the supra box didn't so another saving there plus plus the mustang input shaft has more chance of being the same spline as the mopar clutch plate so fingers crossed there.
    Neil.

I collected the engine Sunday which is now sat in my garage. It has the mopar electronic distributor so in theory I need the mopar module, ballasted coil, ballast resistor and the little loom to plug it all together. It's available as a package on American ebay for about £100. But I've ordered an updated Gm hei 4 pin module and an e core high output coil for just over £25 for both as i'm tight. There's a company stateside that makes a bracket to bolt the module to the mopar dizzy under the advance can but I'll make my own, again as I'm tight. Apart from cost this setup will give a better spark and is arguably more reliable.
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    I collected the engine Sunday which is now sat in my garage. It has the mopar electronic distributor so in theory I need the mopar module, ballasted coil, ballast resistor and the little loom to plug it all together. It's available as a package on American ebay for about £100. But I've ordered an updated Gm hei 4 pin module and an e core high output coil for just over £25 for both as i'm tight. There's a company stateside that makes a bracket to bolt the module to the mopar dizzy under the advance can but I'll make my own, again as I'm tight. Apart from cost this setup will give a better spark and is arguably more reliable.
    Neil.
    Nothing wrong with being tight Neil, sounds like a better job as well.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

Yes mate it's the bit of Scot in me. From what I understand that module will work with about any magnetic triggered dizzy, whatever make or manufacturer.
    Neil.
    Last edited by mygasser; 16-10-19 at 03:00 PM.

the coil and hei module arrived from china so all i'm waiting for now is the 'heat sink' grease goop for between the module and whatever i bolt it to (bottom of the dizzy probably).
    also ashley's jw ultrabell bellhousing for his th350 arrived from summit this week. i ordered it monday evening and it arrived wednesday morning at my door! wow that's fast. tomorrow morning we're cutting the broken bell' off of the trans' and bolting the new one on. he's then going to refit the box tomorrow afternoon so he can use the car again finally.
    i'll put some pics of the surgery up tomorrow.
    neil.

some before and after surgery pics of ashley's th350 and one of my coil and module for the valiant. does the coil look familiar?
    neil.
    Last edited by mygasser; 03-11-19 at 11:35 PM.

i've still been buying parts. over the last year i've bought (seperately) a speedway straight tube axle, a pair of repro early ford 37-41 spindles with a kingpin kit and a chassis engineering brake kit that's ford/mopar 5 stud which i'm told uses mopar rotors. i started mocking at all up the other day and found i needed the top hat spacers for the inner bearings and seals, castle nuts and washers and dust caps. all easily bought from speedway so they're all on the way. the dust caps were $5.99 a pair or $7.99 for chrome ones, so as i don't have centre caps for my slot mags i went shiny.
    now the car's been exhumed (i took the cover off sunday) i'll do some more to it, i even found the rest of the new lock set so i fitted them too.
    cheers, neil.

my parts from speedway had to be collected from the post office as there were duties to pay. i'll get it mocked up tomorrow.
    neil.

the speedway top hat spacers use a different hub seal as it appears they use chevy hubs/discs not the mopar ones i have. i'll have a look on ebay to see if i can order the right seals and if not i'll call kent bearings on tuseday to get a pair.
    neil.

i picked up the seals from kent bearings, my local bearing supplier. they are great and have never failed to get whatever bearing or seal i've needed however obscure. yesterday i ordered rings and bearings for the other 318 i' bought. i mentioned before i'd picked up a set of mahle +60 flat top pistons but they had no rings. the crank looked ok and having thrown the bearings when i stripped it i'm pretty sure it was stock but i ordered -20 on both ends and mains to be on the safe side when i get it reground. it'll give me a 327 short motor as a spare or i may even add all the top end from the built 318 (ported 360 heads, solid cam, tunnel ram etc) to the fresh short block.
    i didn't need the parts yet but was ordering parts from summit for a customer so i shared the postage costs with him.
    neil.