Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 68 valiant signet 2 door

I'm using the car for work this week before I pull the engine and 'box. It drives so much better with the ball joints done (as it should). Strangely, even though I wound the torsion bars down 3/4 turn it sits about the same height now as before. There must've been more play in the old joints than it felt like.

i'm making a start on pulling the engine and box today. i'll get the engine out first so i can slide the box out without removing the trans crossmember. that way i won't need to slacken the torsion bars off (not my first mopar rodeo ).
    updates later.

ok so today started with a few overdue jobs on ashley's zephyr. first was some chassis strengthening around the rear coilover mounts as i originally only fitted shock absorbers and the posty mate who bought it from me later fitted the coilovers to lift the rear some more. so, some years later we had several stress cracks. these got welded then the surrounding areas were braced with plenty of 2mm plate. while i was doing this ash' fitted new polybushes to the front tie rods as the sponge rubber ford ones were way past there sell by date.
    with those jobs done we removed the engine and box from the valiant as it's being collected in the week. that all went well with no problems so i can start the mock up of the 383 next weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

the s/six and box are being collected wednesday evening so i can clear up all the anti freeze and trans fluid in the garage
    then i've decided to mock up the 383/727 (make mounts etc) before i pull them apart for a freshen up, i'm not fitting the torque convertor either for this. reason is if i fit it all in i KNOW i'll just get it going and use it as is. i want to paint the engine bay and the engine/box so this way i have to take them back out and they'll get what they need before the final fit up.
    well it makes sense to me anyway
    neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    the s/six and box are being collected wednesday evening so i can clear up all the anti freeze and trans fluid in the garage
    then i've decided to mock up the 383/727 (make mounts etc) before i pull them apart for a freshen up, i'm not fitting the torque convertor either for this. reason is if i fit it all in i KNOW i'll just get it going and use it as is. i want to paint the engine bay and the engine/box so this way i have to take them back out and they'll get what they need before the final fit up.
    neil.
    Makes sense to me as well Neil. Good luck mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Quote Originally Posted by v8pop View Post
    Makes sense to me as well Neil. Good luck mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Thanks Tim, I'd like to build this once and not have to tear it apart to rebuild the engine later on (although a stroker kit is on the wishlist.....) so that's the plan.
    Cheers, Neil.

s/six and 904 gone, now there's room to start the 383 mockup. i had a look and it has the stock single point dizzy which will stay. yes an electronic one performs a bit better but with spare points and condensor i will always get home. if an electronic module goes south it's a ride on the AA tow truck. it's not being built as a race car so i'm happy with points ignition and a carb for fuelling.
    neil.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    neil.
    All part of "Hotrodders psychology!"
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt",
    but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

works for me ian

been sorting a wilwood brake kit for the front end. we're the wilwood official agents at work so getting what i want is easy. plus with lots of new 'old type' calipers i can get very cheap i'll order the kit without calipers and save even more. for the 9" axle on the rear i'll use the finned ally handbrake calipers we do with discs to suit.
    wilwood update their range often so we get left with stock of now 'obsolete' calipers which the boss has now decided to sell cheap so if anyone needs any let me know what you need and i'll ask if we have them.
    cheers, neil.

progress will have to stop for a little while as i've just been given a 30' x 9' concrete sectional garage for free. and the guy even bought a new steel roof which he never fitted and that comes with it too . so i can get that erected on the property i bought from my neighbour and move my vintage rolls royce clone i built with my dad out of storage. i'll lose time on the valiant but the storage payments saved can be used to buy more parts so win win.

i collected a prop' to fit the 727 box today. thanks to stuart 'stu twin' on the mma forum, nice to meet you mate.
    plus i bought a hardly used 'shiny' 750 holley off ebay for £108 posted for the 383, bargain.
    Last edited by mygasser; 23-09-18 at 09:48 PM.

i had a deal earlier this week, included with the free garage was 11 8x4 sheets of 11mm osb board. i sold them for £100 this week which covers the cost of the mini digger to level the ground for the garage. that'll be next weekend.

the front and rear bench seats were both collected today by a courier and were on there way north to be retrimmed for fitment to a dart (67 i think). as i think i've said it'll be cheaper to fit standard black leather seats from another car (i've got a scorpio set for £100) than get the benches retrimmed so....
    all i need to do is make the front seats 'tip' forward for rear seat passengers, how hard can that be?

just had a sweep out inside the car now the seats and carpet remnants are gone. there are just 2 1/4" holes together on the pass' floor (dead centre in the last pic, show as 2 beige circles) which is about what i expected. this car is excellent rust wise, it just looks a pos

Looks as though you got mr rust rat nibbling away all that nice steel, ouch!!
    Better to have found it now although not much consolation.

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

yep, the 2 little holes show as lighter as that's the garage floor you can see. other than those 2 it's just surface rust so easy to clean up and treat.

boy it's quiet here
    So if you like stuff matching then look away now. I've sorted a pair of wilwood calipers for the front at work today. They are nice billet superlite 6 piston jobbies which is all good. Now the bit you may cringe at, as they are ex display ones one is lug mount and the other radial mount. Every other detail is identical so on the basis you can't actually see the mounts when on the car and considering 'i don't care', at £150 the pair including fast road pads then that's what I'm using. I'll add pics later, Neil.

caliper pics, as you can see the only difference is the mounting type. so it'll have a different bracket each side, that's no problem to me.

Your rear wheels will lift off the floor at full braking! they look awesome