Thread: LSD

LSD

Hi I’m getting a 200 series Volvo rear axial. And the guy asked if I wanted it open or closed? I said closed. He welds them locked. Is this ok or possibly a problem. Cheers

it's not ideal for road use, the inside tyre will try to go the same speed as the outside one on corners and will 'skip' round. usually the result will be a broken halfshaft at some point.

Cheers bud I wasn’t too sure though it was possible maybe a problem so thanks enormously cheers bud ��

Had a welded diff in an old car that I had, it wasn't too bad for normal driving, parking and generally anything slow/tight was a nightmare though.

I remember trying to push a Nova that had a locked diff out of a lockup garage & into a workshop, jeez that was tough & there were three or four of us!!
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

[QUOTE=MisteR Tee;552557]I remember trying to push a Nova that had a locked diff out of a lockup garage & into a workshop, jeez that was tough & there were three or four of us!![/QUOTE
    yes, they must use more fuel like that too Maurice.

[QUOTE=mygasser;552560]
    Quote Originally Posted by MisteR Tee View Post
    I remember trying to push a Nova that had a locked diff out of a lockup garage & into a workshop, jeez that was tough & there were three or four of us!![/QUOTE
    yes, they must use more fuel like that too Maurice.
    Cheers lads

Chris Casban thought so, he sold it not long after!!!!
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

i've seen diff's welded up a few times, i've also seen the damage and problems it's caused. LSD - limited slip differential, there's a good reason why they're made! don't get your diff welded, waste of time and money, buy a real LSD.
    NEVER MIND THE B*LL*CKS IT'S A HOt RoD

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Des View Post
    i've seen diff's welded up a few times, i've also seen the damage and problems it's caused. LSD - limited slip differential, there's a good reason why they're made! don't get your diff welded, waste of time and money, buy a real LSD.
    Depends on the use, for a budget track car (any of drift, drag or circuit) it's a fairly economical way to do things. For the car I had a welder on, I could have replaced the entire diff with pumpkin 4 times for the cost of just buying the LSD. Then you need to pay someone to set it up as that can be a real pain.

Picture of some welded diff action, excuse the Jap car

Quote Originally Posted by cadaver View Post
    Depends on the use, for a budget track car (any of drift, drag or circuit) it's a fairly economical way to do things. For the car I had a welder on, I could have replaced the entire diff with pumpkin 4 times for the cost of just buying the LSD. Then you need to pay someone to set it up as that can be a real pain.
    i thought it was for a rod that's used on the road?

can't help wondering how you'd know the diff was welded in that drift car?
    NEVER MIND THE B*LL*CKS IT'S A HOt RoD

Yes it is . So iv actually found another axial, which is open thanks for the reply