Thread: biva or What to do???

NSRA member

biva or What to do???

if a car ( ROD ) HAS been on the road for a number of years always moted but when first built no photographic record made! so if it needs a biva it would need to be stripped down and rebuilt. There must be someway around this, just wondered if anyone has any ideas?

Images
    Try FB.......
    Or donate to kev's "karpi" charity & get the correct guidance.

Historic vechle tax & mot exempt. Original

Not historic. Mot & pay the tax....

Yes, it needs to be stripped down and rebuilt to show YOUR input into the build the level of which I can clarify . As DVSA always say its or Amateur BUILT ( not BOUGHT cars) . If you want further advice or a copy of Dummies Guide to BIVA ( which translates 310 pages of legalese into 8 pages of plain Englaish PM me . It IS chargeable by way of a donation to my local Hospice.
    Galations 6:7

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    It IS chargeable by way of a donation to my local Hospice.
    Well worth the cost
    You have to get older, but you don't have to grow up!!!

Images
    I third that. IVA sounds like an impossible mountain but it is possible. Having to tear it apart and rebuild sounds picky but the rules on amateur built are to ensure pro companies don't use IVA as a cheat. Be warned though you will find you have to change stuff to get through IVA.
    I know you think you believe you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said isn't always what I meant.

My Intro '

NSRA member
    Talking to the cars builder today ( he did it over 20 yrs ago.) he has no photos of the build but says the way the rules run! cars like this dont need the biva? only an mot. He builds cars for a living. and I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by dickyb View Post
    Talking to the cars builder today ( he did it over 20 yrs ago.) he has no photos of the build but says the way the rules run! cars like this dont need the biva? only an mot. He builds cars for a living. and I am confused.
    Do you want facts or an answer that suits ? Someone selling a car tells you it's all OK and not to worry ??

NSRA member
    He is not the seller, He built it 22 years ago. But he builds cars still. and that was his thinking on the matter ( it maybe wrong).. I like many on here are grateful to you for all of your hard work. I want the facts! so again thank-you.

Images
    Biva is not so hard. You dont have to strip the entire car, but engine out and suspensions off will be the minimum. Good time to freshen it all up though.

NSRA member
    How many biva testing stations are there. with all the cars that will need the biva they will be busy and the wait will be long. for those who can afford to have the rebuild!

How many biva testing stations are there. with all the cars that will need the biva they will be busy and the wait will be long. for those who can afford to have the rebuild!
    They've shut loads down as they've sold off their Commercial testing facilities which housed many of them. There's enough to cope.

Not like everyone will pick up the phone tomorrow to book an appointment as most cars will need stripping and photographing firstly and also will have to have mods to pass because it is highly unlikley they were built to correct specs in the first place. All the under the skin requiremenst are sound practice and don't cost anything extra , it's all in what you do and making correct choice of componentsto start with.

My personal recommendation is to build in the roots of BIVA regardless of final intention, makes life easier for everyone.

He is not the seller, He built it 22 years ago. But he builds cars still. and that was his thinking on the matter ( it maybe wrong).. I like many on here are grateful to you for all of your hard work. I want the facts! so again thank-you.
    I HATE having to comment against the background of someone saying no ,it's all fine . As most know I know nothing and talk out of my arse . However I can always offer links where the FACTS ( that I quote) can be read to confirm .

As I said above I'll give facts , details booklets etc etc but chargeable by donation to my local hospice . I certainlt don't do " but he said" etc etc as it's a waste of everybodies time If you want to chat PM me for a phone number .

NSRA member
    Thanks again Kapri. fed up with it all! Think I will buy a glasshouse. going to be a lot of empty show fields.

Absolutely no reason for empty fields come what may ? We are supposed to be rodders , making, adapting , changing to suit . For me it's been my life, if I never go to another show it will STILL be my life

NSRA member
    been into rods, yanks,classics for 40 years, not my life but a large part! may just go back to a standard classic yank.

The cars out there that have registration issues are still viable cars to buy IF they come at the right price and if 'you' can do the work to ensure their future .

NSRA member
    PM sent.

New guest
    Maybe if you gave a few more details about what's been done to the car, what it's registered as etc it may help. If correctly registered and it has 8 or more points you'll be okay.

NSRA member
    Thanks for the chat Kev. very happy with the info you gave me.