Thread: Looking for your average American parts dealer

Question Looking for your average American parts dealer

Hi All

I've scoured the internet and all the companies I used to deal with back in the day now seem to be defunct, so my question is where is the best place to go for your average everyday parts, not custom as such but not for UK and Euroboxes.

Specifically I'm after a valley gasket for a 69 396ci CBB and Throttle linkage for twin Holleys

Is RandR Imports my best bet or?

Cheers in advance

Geoff

Images
    There are many out their mate to be fair we all charge about the same for parts etc all we ask is that we are given a chance to quote.
    Cheers
    Russ[
    QUOTE=GeoffT;557029]Hi All

I've scoured the internet and all the companies I used to deal with back in the day now seem to be defunct, so my question is where is the best place to go for your average everyday parts, not custom as such but not for UK and Euroboxes.

Specifically I'm after a valley gasket for a 69 396ci CBB and Throttle linkage for twin Holleys

Is RandR Imports my best bet or?

Cheers in advance

Geoff[/QUOTE]
    www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk
    IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/
    ALL MAJOR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS TAKEN

NSRA member
    Images
    i find that Customville are very good the are based in Dagenham Essex or online Duksville.com are very helpful and can get next day delivery

i think NSRA members get discount from USAutomotive? not sure they would have linkage but they would keep gaskets.

Your emotions will always interfere with your sense of truth

Us automotive are good for general American parts. Russ pepper is also very good to. These two between them normally have everything I need.
    Real steel

Images
    I use C M Frost (Topspeed) because they are local to me.
    I also use the ever reliable Russ Pepper.

NSRA member
    Images
    What's the score with Rock Auto? Seems incredibly cheap and shipping from the US quite reasonable too.

Last night i was looking at SBC service parts plus some other bits.

I was also firtling about looking at Chevy TPI stuff, just out of curiosity in case I need some parts. Learned that the O2 sensor is a 30k service part - oops. Back in about 2001 my original one (used with the cut out engine i was installing) got thrown away by the engineers who were making an exhaust bung for me, great! Cost me about £75 from Bauer Millet in Manchester (notoriously expensive place). Listed now on Rock Auto? £8 ffs!!!!!

So what's the Rock Auto experience like then?

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Images
    Rock Auto are pretty good, and usually offer a number of different manufacturers' parts for an application, from cheapo Chinese up to OEM in some cases. I have found it a bit tricky to find on occasion, but you have to make the right payment/shipping option to get the all-in pre-paid duty price. You also have to try and get as much as you can from a single depot/warehouse, or you will be paying shipping from each point. Their 'catalog' is also a great reference for parts identification and additional information about them. I've bought '50s Y-block, '60s Falcon, and '80s and '90s Jeep parts from them.

GeoffT, assuming you mean big block Chevy, they don't actually have a valley gasket, just two intake gaskets and two end seals?
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Chris ive never had any issues with RockAuto. ive always bought named parts rather than some of the unknown brands, quality has always been good.

Images
    Rockauto.

Orded brake parts form them 6.30pm Friday evening UK.

Monday 4.15pm knock on door with parts.. great service.

It's a shame no member on the forum offers a service. Like Steve Lang offered.
    Great service & advice readily available....

NSRA member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newboldspeed View Post
    Think you'll find Russ is doing that.

Was your Rock auto a US order? If so, what happen with the duty and vat?

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Images
    US order... You even get a discount code to use on your next order.

Duty & vat.

You will find that once you have done a order......the FEDEX way.... a fortnight after you think you have got away with it. Lol.

I've used Rock Auto a lot for normal service stuff . The dawback is ordering anywthing weighty or getting the parts ordered incorrectly or sent incorrectly . Then when you run into problems with return , who's fault etc etc. Been there ... Rock Auto themselves were useless as they really just provide a selling point for lots of different suppliers...who you need to talk to..but can't .

I try to keep my money with traders in this country whenever possible , likewise try to buy from my local factors rather than e bay .
    Galations 6:7

Images
    Err have been and still doing it long before Mr Lang thank you
    Rockauto.

Orded brake parts form them 6.30pm Friday evening UK.

Monday 4.15pm knock on door with parts.. great service.

IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/

Images
    this i try to tell people surely easier to deal with someone in the UK than 1000 of miles away
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I've used Rock Auto a lot for normal service stuff . The dawback is ordering anywthing weighty or getting the parts ordered incorrectly or sent incorrectly . Then when you run into problems with return , who's fault etc etc. Been there ... Rock Auto themselves were useless as they really just provide a selling point for lots of different suppliers...who you need to talk to..but can't .

I try to keep my money with traders in this country whenever possible , likewise try to buy from my local factors rather than e bay .

Images
    It may be just a simple list of UK traders was avalible we may all benefit with the hortrod hobby/lifestyle.

In no particular order.

USA car part business below.
    US automotive.
    Real Steal.
    RoadcraftUk.
    Topspeed
    Hauser racing
    etc
    hot rod traders below

Homegrownhotrods
    R&R hot rod parts.
    originals
    Duksville
    Jackhammer
    Customville
    etc...

Images
    Even engine builders, gearbox, tyres, machine shop. etc

Discount for NSRA members for supporting UK traders.

We need to be attractive to survive..
    Last edited by newboldspeed; 19-10-18 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post

I never had any problem with them when I ordered front brake drums, which are heavy, and one was wrong. They sent a replacement no problem.. As part of the order I also bought all associated shoes and brake hardware. The difference in price wasn't just a few pounds either, it was about 2/3rds of the UK price of just the drums not including the shoes and hardware even after shipping, vat and duty.

I have no problem with people making money but I struggle to see how a UK supplier can charge £90 for an item that costs $30... it was exactly the same part from the same manufacturer. The supplier wasn't Russ on here or any of the other small suppliers.
    Last edited by weemark; 19-10-18 at 08:33 PM.

dean roadcraft www.roadcraftuk.co.uk are very good, they keep a ton of stuff not on their web site. Brian is really helpful and nothing is too much trouble. He spent a load of time on the phone with me when I was buying heads and some other parts going through options but on his advice I didn't buy some parts I thought I would need. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

US order... You even get a discount code to use on your next order.

Duty & vat.

You will find that once you have done a order......the FEDEX way.... a fortnight after you think you have got away with it. Lol.
    When you get to the shipping options go through the different couriers until you find one that allows you to pay vat and duty upfront, I’ve found if you use USPS over there it’ll come through Parcel Force over here and you’ll get an £8 surcharge on top of any customs charges, you get import charges if the item and postage come to more than £25.

Steve