Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 B Sedan queeries

32 B Sedan queeries

I have recently bought a '32 B Sedan with a Fibreglass body and has this front suspension on it. Can anyone identify the make and model that it came from please? The previous owner thought it was a Cortina setup and a friend says it's most likely an early Viva one. There is no paperwork with it to identify anything on the car at all. It has had 9 previous owners so I live in hope that someone will see this and know it. It has a Ford V6 and a four speed manual box. It is really tired and needs lots of work to bring it up to a reasonable level but I need to know more about what's fitted to it. I'm hoping to get it finished for the Rutland show although I now live in Mid Norfolk. Thanks in advanceName:  Front Suspension - Copy.JPG
Views: 2650
Size:  404.1 KBName:  B 1.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  172.9 KB

i would say cortina mk 3 or granada hope this helps

It's Mk 3/4/5 Cortina . I've used quite a few and always found this lot good for hard to get parts http://www.oldpartstore.net/ Rally design also stock lots of upgrade parts at good prices.
    Galations 6:7

Images
    Nice looking Sedan.

Who cares If It's glass or steel, It's still a hot rod.

Images
    looks a loverly ride hope you get he parts you need
    www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk
    IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/
    ALL MAJOR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS TAKEN

Cheers for the replies so far. The ride is so hard that there are so many rattles and knocks it's almost unbearable!
    I only drove it 12 miles home and was pleased to get out of it!!
    I've never been in a rod so bad but the price was right and I just need to sort it out.
    As for the front, I believe that it needs adjustable shocks or softer ones to sort that out.
    I also would like to replace all the ball joints and rubber bushes too,then I'll look at the rear.

Shouldn't ride so hard looking at length of springs etc ? Weak spring will cause the shocker to bottom out so may need to space the bottom of the shocker down a bit to gain some more travel . Before you do anything though check your tyre pressures , drop to about 26 in front and 20 in rear and see if it improves. Isued my last Cortina based rod as a daily without any probs on harshness.

NSRA member
    its cortina mk 3/4/5

Hi Kapri. The front spring travel is OK. If a stand on it and bounce up and down it travels enough but is a hard ride!
    Likewise, when jacking it up, as in the photo, there is enough travel upwards too.
    I'm a retired mechanic (now 71) so know my way around vehicles but not sure what the suspension came from.
    Anyone know where I can get adjustable shocks from? Google hasn't played well for me!

Tudor32. Thanks, I'll look up some photo's online to see the setup (I hope!)

Edited to add that I just thought to check the wheel nut pcd and it appears to be 108mm. That fits with
    Cortina info I found online compared to 100mm for a Viva.
    Last edited by BuffaloBill; 07-11-18 at 08:03 PM.

As Tudor32 / kapri have said its from cortina mk 3/4, body looks to be a Jago 32 sedan, so you possibly have a matching Jago chassis which in standard form was set up for cortina front and rear suspension to bolt straight in, its not clear in the picture but its possible someone has cut the springs down to get there desired ride height, which will make the ride very hard on a light weight rod, I'd strip one side down and see what you've got before ordering up parts,

Not teaching you to suck eggs, Just what i found when i got my Jago 32 sedan,

I know a bit of history of this motor as it belonged to afriend of a friend a good few years back. He was the one that changed teh wheels to what is on there now . They are wider / taller than the original wheels and I THINK the wheels fouled on the arches and he fitted new spring sto overcome this. I also THINK thay V6 Cortina springs where fitted which are way to high a rate for a rod . The difference bewteen a rod and cortina is that in a rod the engine sits behind the axle and so the front axle actually sees much less weight than if still in a Cortina .

Simplest way to look at rate is measure the length of the spring with car at rest and then with the front end jacked up . Ideally the bottom arm should be just off level with a small amount of downwards incline towards the wheel .

DeuceTudor. I spoke to Geoff Jago the other day but he says his memory is not so good now so doesn't remember it.
    He says the body must have been built after 1968-ish, but he's not too sure. Now I know what springs are fitted, I can go from there.
    It may explain the hard ride. I might remove the shock and try the bounce on the front to see if that softens it up. If not, it must be the spring.

Kapri. Maybe changing the springs back to to say, 1600 Cortina may soften the ride assuming the springs fitted haven't been cut.
    I would be very grateful if that friend-of-a-friend of yours could contact me as I stated above, that there is no paperwork at all
    to say what is/has been fitted and it's been many many years since I delved in rods of any type. The guy I bought it from really hadn't
    a clue and just told me 'Parrot Fashion' what he had been told.
    Thanks to you guys at least I have something to go on with.

My friends mate owned it is Holmsey on here , it's worth a PM to him. I saw the advert when it was for sale saying it was Geoffs personal car but I used to hang out there a lot and only remember one sedan being built in te shop and that was initially to order for Kens Custom Shop down here though I don't think Ken ever took delivery.

I did sell the original steel car that mould cam efrom. Didn't belong to me but was an estate sale on behalf of another friend.

Sedan and sedan delivery models didn't become available from Jagos until later in the 70's as initially he focused on the roadster and then the 5 window coupe which used the roadster mould as a starting point. In fact even the roadster shell wasn't a Roadster but a cabriolet model.

Is the rear on leaf springs or 4 bar , panhard rod and coil overs ?

Is the chassis joined sections of large box section 6"x2" as the Jago chassis is quite distinctive . I just don't remember them using Cortina front ends , almost always one of their tube axles in front. Cortina front didn't become that popular until the early 80's.

Geoff told me he never had one as his personal car but remembers building a rolling chassis for someone who had money problems and so was sold to someone else.
    The chassis is a substantial box section but a bad back is stopping me from getting down to measure it just now but the photo shows a part of it.
    Rear suspension is on coils with separate shocks and a panhard system using rubber joints as per cars of the 70's and 80's. The other photo shows part of the rear suspension.
    As can be sen from those photo's, she is in need of some serious TLC and looks to have been neglected for some time. JMO of course.
    Name:  PB070013 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2260
Size:  474.6 KB
    Name:  PB070011 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2222
Size:  290.2 KB

Images
    Yes my mate Pudzz owned it a few year back. He did miles and miles in it.. many with me with him and it drove beautiful, must of been messed with since. I'll ask him Saturday what he changed apart from the wheel's.

Sent from my S60 Lite using NSRA mobile app
    Last edited by Holmsey; 19-11-20 at 06:14 PM.
    Get down off that cross we need the wood! "Tom Waits"
    Be Seeing You!
    www.uk-hotrods.co.uk

Thanks Holmsey. I really cannot put into words how grateful I am with the help I'm getting from you guys.
    Any information that he can provide will be invaluable to me. If it would help him, I can provide him with my Email address.
    My intention is to get it running smoothly and properly and stop all the knocks and bangs and leaks etc. then strip it and
    clean/paint and rebuild and produce a spreadsheet of all the parts that have been used and where possible, the part
    numbers too. Any rod or kitcar should be done in that way as the next owner may well need that information to replace worn out parts.
    Incidentally, how do I sent PM's here please?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    Thanks Holmsey. I really cannot put into words how grateful I am with the help I'm getting from you guys.
    Any information that he can provide will be invaluable to me. If it would help him, I can provide him with my Email address.
    My intention is to get it running smoothly and properly and stop all the knocks and bangs and leaks etc. then strip it and
    clean/paint and rebuild and produce a spreadsheet of all the parts that have been used and where possible, the part
    numbers too. Any rod or kitcar should be done in that way as the next owner may well need that information to replace worn out parts.
    Incidentally, how do I sent PM's here please?
    To send a pm, click on the persons name who you want to send a pm too. A box comes up, click on private message, then type your message. When you have finished typing, click submit message at the bottom. Easy really.

Who cares If It's glass or steel, It's still a hot rod.

4 stud rear axle ? With straight lower arms and triangulated top arms going to some chunky casting on the sides of the diff ?

Name:  Rear spring.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  164.6 KB
    Excuse the writing. My son took this on his phone but does it show what you are asking?
    If not, I'll see how my back feels tomorrow to get another photo.
    4 stud wheels all round.