Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 B Sedan queeries

Right rear end is also Cortina . The rubber hanging out is the remains of a towing assister ring. That would definitely help with banging as theses axles are very pron eto winding up the diff and hitting the chassis rail with the nose cone. Especially so if the rubbers are shagged in those arms. As an old time mechanic you'll be aware of the reputation of Cortina void bushes. My recommendation is to replace all bushes with urethane EXCEPT for those either side of the diff which need replacing with heavy duty / estate bushes which don't have a void . You have to keep one end rubber in there as the arcs of travel conflict and will bottom out so still making it jarr.
    Galations 6:7

This is the type of rubber assister but the actual one depends on gap between unloaded coils.

It's true that agood car can so easily become bad after a few owners . One of mine was a shadow of itself after 10 years of other owners but after a chat with the latest owner and advising how it should be set up it was good as gold again. It had gone from a 120mph steering with one finger to 50mph if you had balls of stee l

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Is the chassis joined sections of large box section 6"x2" as the Jago chassis is quite distinctive .
    Having seen your photos Bill I would think that your chassis is a Jago unit, as Kev said they were made of 6"x2" box section, and somewhat heavy and `agricultural` in appearance.
    A bit of reading for you in the link (below) to a Rods n Sods thread about a Jago sedan delivery found in a back garden. Some past sedan owners on there state their cars came set up for Ford Cortina frontends ect, Geoff`s son Stuart has a bit of input too!...

https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/hi...ry-found-72424
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Hi Kapri. Is this the "triangulated top arms going to some chunky casting on the sides of the diff" you were talking about?
    Name:  PB080014 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1028
Size:  312.2 KB

Yup, that's the one Anti roll bar on rear also suggests it's a 2 litre axle. The shape of the rear slave cylinders will confirm that.

Thanks. I feel that progress is being made now
    So it seems that we have a Mk3 Cortina front axle and steering and a 2lt Cortina rear axle.
    I have ordered replacement spring compressors as I sold most of my tools when I retired early 7.1/2yrs ago.
    Then I can measure the length of the front and rear springs in an unloaded state.
    Also an engine compression gauge to replace the one I sold, just to see the state of the engine.
    I'd be interested to know if the valve seats need, or were changed, for unleaded petrol. Anyone know if they
    may have needed doing? Ford V6 with engine numbers SC12536 7E12.
    Last edited by BuffaloBill; 10-11-18 at 09:49 AM.

NSRA Committee
    Images
    looks to be mk 3/4 Cortina standard rear suspension set up
    Richard Black
    Membership Secretary

I jacked the rear end up this afternoon and found that the offside rear spring has been broken and the piece is missing.
    Compared to the other side, she sits 30/40mm lower on that side so new springs are needed. The problem I have is when
    looking on the interweb, the springs are shown as having one end smaller in diameter than the other whereas these appear
    straight 'tubular' jobs. The only way I'll know for sure is to remove the rear wheel for a better look, hopefully tomorrow.
    Or has Google got it wrong?
    On a slightly different note, does anyone have a V6 manual box with overdrive for sale? The engine numbers suggest it's a '76.
    Whether that makes much difference I really don't know. It would make a big difference on longer journeys for sure.

Kapri.
    I checked the tyre pressures today and they were all at 30psi. Now set at your suggested 26 front and 20 rear.
    May get a chance for a quick spin out to see tomorrow.

Images
    Had a Craic with me old mate Pudzz last night. He was shocked and saddened to see the state of the suspension and chassis. He used to keep it spotless and painted up all the time. He said same as me it drove beautiful as they have to when you have to drive so far to the shows from up here in sunny Cumbria. He seems to remember 6 coils on the front springs, so they have definitely been cut or replaced. It was Cortina and I would probably start by buying a new set of front and rear std or lowered Cortina coils springs and go from there.
    Last edited by Holmsey; 19-11-20 at 06:15 PM.
    Get down off that cross we need the wood! "Tom Waits"
    Be Seeing You!
    www.uk-hotrods.co.uk

Thanks Holmsey. Just one bit of help for now...........
    All the rear springs Iv'e looked at for Cortina's have a smaller diameter coil on one end where these are 'straight' coils
    with 98mm O.D. and 13mm thick and probably in excess of 300mm long.
    Can you ask Pudzz if he knows what the springs actually are please.
    Once I have this info I'll get new springs all round ordered and leave you guys in peace for a while
    Bill

Images
    He won't know Bud. He bought it already done. He just tarted it all up put some wheels on he didn't have anything to do with the building of it. Try on Facebook for a guy called jack indestructible lad think he may know more of its original build.

Sent from my S60 Lite using NSRA mobile app
    Get down off that cross we need the wood! "Tom Waits"
    Be Seeing You!
    www.uk-hotrods.co.uk

can you not take the springs off the car and go into a local motor factor to see if they can match them?

Your emotions will always interfere with your sense of truth

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    Thanks Holmsey. Just one bit of help for now...........
    All the rear springs Iv'e looked at for Cortina's have a smaller diameter coil on one end where these are 'straight' coils
    with 98mm O.D. and 13mm thick and probably in excess of 300mm long.
    Can you ask Pudzz if he knows what the springs actually are please.
    Once I have this info I'll get new springs all round ordered and leave you guys in peace for a while
    Bill
    the rears on your car dont look like cortina rears, as you said they should have a smaller pig tail coil that sits on the stock cortina arm , i have a couple of sets i can measure if you need any sizes

Weemark. I have moved 70 odd miles away from where I used to live and work and so the Motorfactors I used are not close by.
    I'm not sure of any around here yet(Dereham) so I'm a bit stuck really, hence the many questions. If I was still at my old
    address, I'm sure they would have helped as I dealt with them for over 25yrs.

scottie. I'll grab any help I can get!! Height isn't a problem but obviously the outside and inside diameters do because of the
    cups they sit in. I would like to raise the rear of the car so any extra height is a bonus.
    When I jacked it up with the axle hanging and presumably the shock holding it, the spring measured 9" (230mm) and was still
    under tension so I'm guessing at 300mm or more with no tension, but it's a guess.

there are some sizes here to get started with , but as i said they might not be any use to you as it looks like you do not have cortina springs on the rear

http://www.burtonpower.com/rear-coil...lbs-cs157.html

These guys would be able to replicate what you have if you sent them a sample or could make something up to your spec.

http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/acatalog/Specials.html

Your emotions will always interfere with your sense of truth

Update.
    I went up to my old motorfactors and gave him the dimensions for the front springs and he found them!
    They are from a 1980 Cortina 2ltr Estate so was worth the trip. £55.80 the pair.
    He also found the rear's too which he didn't have in stock but will be with them in the morning and
    he will send them by courier so should have them by Friday. Can't remember the model and make of
    the vehicle but will be on the paperwork when it arrives.
    'Job's-a-goodun' as Guy Martin would say.

re the front springs a 1.3 cortina front spring would be the lightest poundage available stock. as for the rears although the pic shows a plate has been welded to the lower arm for the 'big all the way' spring it looks to be in the stock location on the arm. so if you swapped a pair of stock lower arms in then stock cortina rear springs should also fit.
    neil.

Neil, apparently it's the same springs for the 1300/1600 and 2000 on the fronts. It's the same Kilen number anyway.

Yeah I guess the aftermarket just supply 1 for the 4 cylinder cars and 1 for v6 cars these days. The crossflow is considerably lighter than the pinto engines so the Ford originals would be lighter poundage.