Thread: rover v8 firing order ?

Unhappy rover v8 firing order ?

hi all ! is the firing order on a rover v8 the same on all years and are p6"s and sd1 "s the same order ? the rover v8 in my 100e ran o.k ! but then wasnt started for a few months and now runs crap as in lumpy and cuts out so i thought the leads were duff ! so i fitted new ones one by one as i took the old ones off but its still the same the plugs are o.k so could it be something electrical ???

As far as i know both firing orders are the same 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 i think from memory
    Have you checked the dizzy cap for cracks etc.,or if your running points and condenser as condensers are crap now a days
    Could be coil breaking down,or if you've got su's are the dash pot levels ok?
    Have you got a spark at each plug?
    Or is the fuel getting through?
    That's about it for my limited knowledge

Images
    1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Not all RV8's have the same firing order on the cap. Dont know if any difference between P6 and SD1 but the SD1 rover in my series hybrid is one plug further clockwise than my 3.9 Discovery. Inah it doesnt help the problem but just thought id share it anyway. Is your vaccum advance unit working as have a habit of rubber perishing if sat for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by leepop633 View Post
    Not all RV8's have the same firing order on the cap. Dont know if any difference between P6 and SD1 but the SD1 rover in my series hybrid is one plug further clockwise than my 3.9 Discovery.
    that'll be the same firing order, but the distributer was one tooth out when it was fitted...

start with the basics... got a spark at the coil, then at the plugs, then make sure it's actually got fuel, there's fuel at the carbs, floats not stuck, manual or electric pump working, and so on
    Last edited by thisYup; 06-04-08 at 03:58 PM.

Smile

thanks for all the pointers guys i"ll go through it from the basics when we get a dry day .....

I found aftermarket rotor arms could be troublesome, worth a look.

If it was a tooth out it wouldnt run properly.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepop633 View Post
    If it was a tooth out it wouldnt run properly.
    Hi Lee, i think the misunderstanding is that you can put the leads anywhere on the cap as long as they are in the right rotational firing order ,then you just rotate the body of the dizzy to #1 lead cylinder at TDC (or to the the recommended Btdc)
    or put simpler #1 can be anywhere ,as long as its timed in to the recommended BTDC
    Ian

NSRA member
    Images
    Otis Redding couldn't set up an engine for **** 6-3-4-5-7-8-9 .

The (correct) number for a Rover is the same as sbc and bbc and needs to be etched on the mind

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

NSRA member
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.