Thread: C6 Transmission Removal

C6 Transmission Removal

Hi all,

I managed to pick up a 70 Ford 429 engine and C6 Transmission a few weeks back. The engine has sat for a while and is seized. The engine and transmission are currently sat on the floor of my garage. I have started stripping the engine and am at the point where I want to remove the Transmission.

(For the avoidance of doubt I have never worked on an auto transmission).

I want to separate the Transmission from the engine, but as the engine is seized I won't be able to rotate the engine to remove the Torque Converter to flywheel bolts. The question I have is can I just separate the engine and transmission without removing the Torque Converter bolts?

I have removed all of the bolts that hold the Transmission to the engine - I have gently jiggled the Transmission to see if it can separate from the engine - it does appear like it could separate but I don't want to force anything without getting some guidance first? Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

NSRA member
    The t/c is bolted to the flywheel on the engine and only drives the transmission via a shaft. So yes, just pull the transmition off. You would only need to turn the engine on fitting the transmition.

Perfect - MANY thanks. Greatly appreciated.

prepare for trans fluid to pour out of the convertor when you seperate them.

mygasser is exactly right just pull it off and the oil will leak out . all you will have to do is put a new front seal when you put it back. but the good thing is with the flex plate teeth now showing you can try and free the engine (maybe)by putting a bell housing bolt in & using a large screwdriver to lever the engine backwards & forwards. bit by bit hopefully gradually free the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by maddoctor View Post
    mygasser is exactly right just pull it off and the oil will leak out . all you will have to do is put a new front seal when you put it back. but the good thing is with the flex plate teeth now showing you can try and free the engine (maybe)by putting a bell housing bolt in & using a large screwdriver to lever the engine backwards & forwards. bit by bit hopefully gradually free the engine.
    yeah i did that with a 400m ford years ago. took nearly a week after initially getting it to move, soaking it overnight and rocking it back and forth each day 'til it turned fully. at least the flexplate came off then to get it on a stand for the rebuild.
    neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    prepare for trans fluid to pour out of the convertor when you seperate them.
    I wish I had seen this before pulling the trans - I had trans fluid everywhere!

Many thanks for the responses.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

NSRA member
    We have all done it. I’m taking mine out tomorrow but remembered to drain the trans so I get as much fluid out as poss, then remember to place a pan under the t/c.
    . I welded in a drain plug a while ago, th400