Thread: motorcycle spoke wheels on transit stub axles (T bucket)

motorcycle spoke wheels on transit stub axles (T bucket)

does anyone know if you can fit motor bike spoke wheels on a transit jago tube axle?

Quote Originally Posted by Sqweaka View Post
    does anyone know if you can fit motor bike spoke wheels on a transit jago tube axle?
    you'll probably need to get the stub axles turned down and get bearings to suit but it's doable. if i was doing it i'd cut the stubs off of the upright and get a pair of the stubs we do at work (which are for our cortina geometry ally uprights). as they're just a stub axle they'll go in a lathe and turn down to size easily. then drill your transit upright and bolt the spindle in place.
    here's the upright kit i mean https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/produc...ducts_id=11815
    and the stub axles are available on their own https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/produc...ducts_id=24586
    neil.

A mate did it years agoon a Jago / Transit beam with Goldwing front hubs . Biggest problem is brake balance afterwards, his are still ****. Other issue is too small a width / suitable tyres as motorcycle rims / tyres are not designed to take the loads in the same direction as cars.
    Galations 6:7

NSRA member
    Images
    maybe early harley or brit bike triumph bsa etc ok .as they are imperial bearings .should make life easier

This might be worth a look. Hub made to take a disc brake.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/13241575/

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    A mate did it years agoon a Jago / Transit beam with Goldwing front hubs . Biggest problem is brake balance afterwards, his are still ****. Other issue is too small a width / suitable tyres as motorcycle rims / tyres are not designed to take the loads in the same direction as cars.
    thanks Kev.... did he need to do any machining to the stubs to get them on or was it just matching bearings, the brake balance problems what was the problem there? did he use the bike brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sqweaka View Post
    thanks Kev.... did he need to do any machining to the stubs to get them on or was it just matching bearings, the brake balance problems what was the problem there? did he use the bike brakes?

He had the Transit hubs machined to take the Goldwing hub from memory . He used the Golding disc and caliper which is where the mismatch against the much better Jag rear brakes occured. If you look at what ( probably) inspired you then you'll see that the Yanks normally don't bother with front brakes at all on extreme fads.
    Galations 6:7

ive seen a lot with brakes as well kev.. Hmmm

Images
    I would have thought that companies like Hallcraft would have used wider hubs with larger bearings than motorcycle ones, although may well have used bike rims (Harley 40-spoke 16" x 3" being an obvious one). Back in the '70s their bearings were only 3/4" bore so no use on a car, and for obvious reasons bike wheels aren't designed to take much in the way of axial loads anyway.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine