Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise fines next?!

Noise fines next?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995

Throughout my time with ACE the one constant when any Consultation was raised was people constantly moaning about noisy exhausts at every opportunity .

Cut outs are THE future !
    Galations 6:7

NSRA member
    The police done a decibal reading on my old rover v8 powered pa velox back in late 80's on the side of road,passed ok but got a fine for blue dots in the rear lamps.There is always going to be some idiot making up these useless killjoy money making laws.i hear some stereos louder than my v8 now!!

I heard this on the news and I thought that quite a few people would be affected.

Sent from my SM-G950F using NSRA mobile app
    Rome wasn't burned in a night

NSRA member
    Yes, just read this on teletext, more money making tripe!

'Normal' car levels are quite low( 85db I think ) but are set at a drive by at certain revs and can be manipulated by the manufacturers to be quiet at that spot. That's why you have what appear to be empty boxes in many cars induction system.

Some top end car manufactuers use automatic cutouts so the cars get loder over a certain speed.

SVA test used to be 101 limit and BIVA is now 99 but again that is at certain revs with meters set at prescribed distance and angles. Of the many tests I've done often the tick over noise is much louder but passes required levels .

It is one to watch as it is difficult to set a target that takes into account the various levels set on cars at different times in history.

Personally the only way I could see it being made to work fairly is that contravention picked up by machines would need to be retested under proper test conditions.

I've seen this happen at late model car meets where the Police have just been waving Decibel meters around and issuing fines

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willys coop v8 View Post
    Yes, just read this on teletext, more money making tripe!
    Is that still going ?

Images
    People driving around on open headers are going to **** the public off, same as open drag pipes on bikes. Noticed recently around here a couple of gutless little hatchbacks with what sounds like nothing after the manifold, popping and banging about like dicks.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

NSRA member
    hmm
    sooo
    many variables
    same car but under load/over run
    sound bounced off walls buildings etc
    sound from other vehicles or other sources ?
    decibel limits measured at what frequency?
    ahh well its a good earner for little outlay

NSRA member
    Bring back the LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES stickers!!!��

In the rallying world, The limit used to be 90db at 3000rpm @ 1 meter (unless you had a metro 6r4) I don't know if it has changed in the last 10 or so years. so its not just u that this legislation affects I wonder what the RAC MSA have to say on this.

Cheers Ian
    Member of the Long Roof society

They appear to have fleshed it out a bit and the proposed level is indeed 90db though distance unknown.

Images
    They are only saying they MAY bring the law in
    IF they develop the technology .
    so baffles can come out

Images
    Well , I for one am baffled

Another knee-jerk reaction!

Exhaust noise isn’t the only noise a moving car/motorcycle makes.
    Tyres, rolling bearings, suspension movement, engine rotation, intake, wind noise etc. all go towards it, so a moving vehicle, especially a large, fast moving vehicle, will make more noise than a stationary one, for the same revs.

Let’s not forget also, that decibels are a logarithmic scale…….101 decibels is twice as loud as 98 decibels, so another decibel or two for all that......

And I suppose there’ll be a cut-off year?!........all those old, classic and vintage cars weren’t manufactured with limited noise levels in mind!

Can’t see it happening myself.

NOT knee jerk , I've been watching this develop over a 10 year period . Have you bought a modern tyre lately ? They come with db ratings for noise . Currently tyres manufactured for vehicles before 2001 are exempt from being checked or labelled.

As I said earlier OEM vehicles are checked MOVING at 85db.

Images
    Not a problem anyway you can buy 1 bolt removable baffles for less than £5 , easy get below the levels if it ever happens to our cars

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    NOT knee jerk , I've been watching this develop over a 10 year period .
    "The move comes after pressure from campaigners in rural communities who say some motorists illegally modify vehicles to amplify the sound."

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Have you bought a modern tyre lately ? They come with db ratings for noise . Currently tyres manufactured for vehicles before 2001 are exempt from being checked or labelled.

As I said earlier OEM vehicles are checked MOVING at 85db.
    Yes, 4, two weeks ago and I checked purposely on the noise rating as the previous ones were noisy........and I don't put tyres 'manufactured for vehicles before 2001' on any of my cars.

My point was, older vehicles will struggle to pass a modern test set at 90 decibels, so is anyone considering that?
    I can see lots of tickets being handed out on the London to Brighton Veteran Car run, if not!

As you say, OEM manufacturers can manipulate the exhaust to pass a certain test, which is why stock Porsches require additional silencing to get below 98 decibels for trackdays.
    Last edited by RIPsnorter; 13-06-19 at 10:02 AM.

Images
    Blimey, 90 Db's is VERY quiet!
    Pretty well anything not bog stock woud fail.

Mine passed IVA legally at 99Db - so how would that work in court if I got fined for being 91-99 db past a 90Db meter???

Still, fun could be had with a foghorn by a meter, blast fog horn every time a stocker drives past

Guess I won't be able to use my horn anymore in case somebody finds the noise offensive. Or I could just carry on ignoring offcialdom nonsense - having fun as usual!

I can't tell you how many monkeys lives were saved by me driving with open headers when I drove my T in Japan. Come round a nice fast sweeping bend on a mountain road in a modern and there would be a troop of shocked looking monkeys in the middle of the road. With the T they knew I was coming up the valley in plenty of time to scatter! -

Quote Originally Posted by RIPsnorter View Post
    "The move comes after pressure from campaigners in rural communities who say some motorists illegally modify vehicles to amplify the sound."

Yes, 4, two weeks ago and I checked purposely on the noise rating as the previous ones were noisy........and I don't put tyres 'manufactured for vehicles before 2001' on any of my cars.

My point was, older vehicles will struggle to pass a modern test set at 90 decibels, so is anyone considering that?
    I can see lots of tickets being handed out on the London to Brighton Veteran Car run, if not!

As you say, OEM manufacturers can manipulate the exhaust to pass a certain test, which is why stock Porsches require additional silencing to get below 98 decibels for trackdays.
    Im sure they will have allowed for older vehicles to be exempt , possibly only if they are VHI though ?? Devil is always in the detail though, if it's not written into statute then it can't be exempted . This the usual thing of chceking it out and making sure BEFORE it is too late .

Apparently about to start trials over the next 6-7 months so looks like they have the technology already nailed ...which considering how long people have been whinging about it isn't surprising

I'm not sure I worded the get out for tyres before 2001 correctly .It's for NEW tyres that are still made to be fitted to vehicles manufactured before 2001 NOT that the tyres were manufactured before 2001.
    Last edited by kapri; 13-06-19 at 05:10 PM.