Thread: Installing Beauty Rings

NSRA member
    Images

Installing Beauty Rings

I recently purchased some beauty rings from Northant Tyres and did a bit of digging around on the web to see what suggestions are out there for the best way to install them. They ranged from standing on them, pushing them on with your feet and hands, bashing them with a rubber mallet and a block of wood etc and generally being a pain in the arse.
    All of these ideas left me worried about damaging them so with a bit of though I came up with the following:
    The rings in question measured 390mm o/d and the inside bead of the wheel is approx. 410mm diameter so I routered out a circular template from an 18mm thick rigid foam material called foamex at 400mm diameter (you could use plywood, just had some foamex around).
    Then I place the rings on the wheel and pushed into position with my hands until they gripped, then placed the template over the top and then used a rubber mallet to hit around the edge pushing the rings home and spreading the load, the template can't slip off the ring as it fits just inside the raised bead.
    Only took about 5 minutes to fit each ring with no damage at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

NSRA Committee
    Images
    Why fit them to the inside of the wheel?
    Richard Black
    Membership Secretary

NSRA member
    Images
    All in the details��

Images

go on, you bought 2 sets. one set outside as normal and a second set for the inside. am i right? and you tried your experiment on the inside first in case it didn't go as planned?
    neil.

NSRA member
    Images
    Name:  IMG_0323[5708].jpg
Views: 355
Size:  120.7 KBSorry for the post, I thought it might help someone installing their rings. Didn't realise it would be such a source of ridicule

Mods could you please delete my post
    Last edited by Stickman; 01-07-19 at 11:36 PM.

Nowt wrong with your post at all and there is always room for sharing knowledge, keep them ideas coming !!

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

Images
    I can delete it if you want, just wasn't sure why you were fitting them on the inside. Makes perfect sense and a great idea and ingenuity !!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Name:  IMG_0323[5708].jpg
Views: 355
Size:  120.7 KBSorry for the post, I thought it might help someone installing their rings. Didn't realise it would be such a source of ridicule

Mods could you please delete my post
    just reread all the posts and nobody was having a dig or ridiculing what you'd done. initially someone wondered why you'd fitted one inside a wheel, i had an idea why so asked the question.
    don't be so sensitive, especially when you have a good idea that others also like.
    regards, neil.

Think they look really neat ,

New guest
    Very subtle. It's a different take on having whitewalls on both sides of the tire. Accessory Harley tires got that job done in the day, although the handling couldn't have been up to much. Nice look though.

The fitting trick is pretty good as well. I've always been a bit nervous fitting the things in the past. A good thump with the fist usually does the trick for me.
    Last edited by headsoff; 02-07-19 at 08:20 AM.

...and that is why people don't do 'different' things and instead follow the herd

I've done a few things like that on my projects that will have peopel shaking their heads ...I love it!
    Galations 6:7

Images
    Fitting beauty rings on both sides of a wheel (normally just the front) was a `50s custom trick. Like fitting double sided white wall tyres it was considered an upmarket custom touch back then!.
    I use a soft rubber mallet to install my trim rings but as Michael has shown, there`s more than one way to `skin a cat`!.
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

That looks great, and the fitting method is neat

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using NSRA mobile app