Thread: Strobe setting

Strobe setting

Hi my falcon has duel points and I want to check the settings with a strobe light. Itís running a 351 Cleaveland. I doubt itís tdc but donít really know. I will check what itís set at but would be interested on what itís supposed to be. Itís running a bit rough at the moment so I need to re set stuff cheers

Just read a article on Cleaveland and it’s saying 6-12 btdc but you can go to 36 btdc really. I need to see what my settings are . Thanks

NSRA member
    Images
    The 6-12 btdc is a static setup that'll get the motor started. The 36btdc is the timing at about 3k rpm when the mechanical advance is 'all in', and with vac disconnected and plugged.

A dial back timing light makes this very simple, otherwise you need a suitable timing tape on your balancer (or you can mark it yourself after doing the maths!). Not a bad idea to verify that the tdc mark is accurate as well.
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Images
    36 btdc,will be total advance and not at idle speed,you may know that,but just to be clear.

most engines are in more or less the same ball park,if it’s stock I would set it around 8btdc and try it.
    check the vac advance is not affecting the result,some do,so plug the small bore rubber hose.

Images
    You posted while I was typing Chris

Cheers lads����

unless the engine is completely standard the factory settings will only get you close. ideally a rolling road setup is best, but i usually advance the timing until it 'pinks' (pre ignition) under hard acceleration then back it off 3 or 4 degrees as required. also the fuel makes a difference as normal unleaded won't allow as much advance without pinking as super unleaded.
    neil.