Thread: Rear axle advice

NSRA member
    Images

Rear axle advice

I'm looking for a solid rear axle that is or could be narrowed to 53",4.1 : 1 ratio and capable being redrilled to a Chevy or Ford stud pattern.Strength is not a issue as I've only got a Mickey Mouse motor,cost and weight rule out a 9" and I can't find an off the shelf 8".Ease of getting parts is important so I was thinking about a modern pick up or 4X4. Does any one have any good ideas? Jonathan.

Jeep Cherokee, usually o/d box so lower axle ratios and 5 stud ford/mopar stock. Some have lsd too. Or the old faithful Volvo axle, still seem to be plenty about and lower ratios mostly too.
    Neil.

Images
    4 cylinder Cherokee xj is a 4.1 diff. Only came as a Dana 35 but plenty strong enough for a small engine. Most of the others are 3.5 except for the 4.0 litre tow package (rare).
    "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post
    4 cylinder Cherokee xj is a 4.1 diff. Only came as a Dana 35 but plenty strong enough for a small engine. Most of the others are 3.5 except for the 4.0 litre tow package (rare).
    wonder if that's what i fitted to my last zephyr then, it has 3.73 gears and an lsd. that had about 8 years abuse with a healthy 351 cleveland and a couple with a 350 chevy (so far) so pretty strong.
    neil.

NSRA member
    Images
    Many thanks for your thoughts.Will start the hunt for a jeep axle and check out the width and replacement shaft situation.

moser shafts are quite reasonable or get the stock ones cut and friction welded.

Images
    I have a 94 mustang 7.5 rear axle with calipers 5 stud , not sure on the ratios .£150

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    wonder if that's what i fitted to my last zephyr then, it has 3.73 gears and an lsd. that had about 8 years abuse with a healthy 351 cleveland and a couple with a 350 chevy (so far) so pretty strong.
    neil.
    3.73 came in Dana 44 flavour as well. Very tough. The 35 has a reputation for being made of chocolate in off road circles.
    "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

Vauxhall Frontera rear axle might be worth a look. Is a Dana 30 AFAIK -a lot stronger than the Dana 35. early ones are 6 on 5.5" PCD; but should be plenty of room to re-drill on a smaller PCD if the later axle is too. Here's one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...8AAOSw5cRZHXmj

usual disclaimer.
    I've mended lots of things that had turned out not to be foolproof!

My intro