Thread: Rear axle advice

NSRA member
    Images

Rear axle advice

I'm looking for a solid rear axle that is or could be narrowed to 53",4.1 : 1 ratio and capable being redrilled to a Chevy or Ford stud pattern.Strength is not a issue as I've only got a Mickey Mouse motor,cost and weight rule out a 9" and I can't find an off the shelf 8".Ease of getting parts is important so I was thinking about a modern pick up or 4X4. Does any one have any good ideas? Jonathan.

Jeep Cherokee, usually o/d box so lower axle ratios and 5 stud ford/mopar stock. Some have lsd too. Or the old faithful Volvo axle, still seem to be plenty about and lower ratios mostly too.
    Neil.

Images
    4 cylinder Cherokee xj is a 4.1 diff. Only came as a Dana 35 but plenty strong enough for a small engine. Most of the others are 3.5 except for the 4.0 litre tow package (rare).
    Layabout.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post
    4 cylinder Cherokee xj is a 4.1 diff. Only came as a Dana 35 but plenty strong enough for a small engine. Most of the others are 3.5 except for the 4.0 litre tow package (rare).
    wonder if that's what i fitted to my last zephyr then, it has 3.73 gears and an lsd. that had about 8 years abuse with a healthy 351 cleveland and a couple with a 350 chevy (so far) so pretty strong.
    neil.

NSRA member
    Images
    Many thanks for your thoughts.Will start the hunt for a jeep axle and check out the width and replacement shaft situation.

moser shafts are quite reasonable or get the stock ones cut and friction welded.

Images
    I have a 94 mustang 7.5 rear axle with calipers 5 stud , not sure on the ratios .£150

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    wonder if that's what i fitted to my last zephyr then, it has 3.73 gears and an lsd. that had about 8 years abuse with a healthy 351 cleveland and a couple with a 350 chevy (so far) so pretty strong.
    neil.
    3.73 came in Dana 44 flavour as well. Very tough. The 35 has a reputation for being made of chocolate in off road circles.
    Layabout.

Vauxhall Frontera rear axle might be worth a look. Is a Dana 30 AFAIK -a lot stronger than the Dana 35. early ones are 6 on 5.5" PCD; but should be plenty of room to re-drill on a smaller PCD if the later axle is too. Here's one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...8AAOSw5cRZHXmj

usual disclaimer.
    I've mended lots of things that had turned out not to be foolproof!

My intro