Thread: 32 roadster column mount

NSRA member

32 roadster column mount

Really basic question, but could someone help with a basic question re mounting a column to a steel roadster dash?

does the column drop just bolt to the bottom flange of the dash, or is there bracing that should go behind the dash?

grateful for any pictures to show ‘stock’ assembly.

thanks in advance

Images
    dash brace..jpg

The column `drop` just bolts to the bottom edge of the dashboard Jasper. The dash bracing is supplied by the piece behind the dash panel (on the right in this photo) which also bolts to the inside of the firewall and dashboard...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

NSRA member
    Cheers brizey.

i need to make something up - I’m using a new brookeville 3w Style roadster dash and not the original clocks (using an auburn style panel). Will brace the centre up somehow out the way.

thanks

NSRA member
    Images
    are we sure the dash panel actually connects to the dash tunnel thing? I'm not sure that it does. As far as i know the dach panel just floats over the tunnel part. There's not been any evidnece of any connection on anything i've had, but i've never dismantled a complete, original car either. Pretty sure it could be made to attach somehow though.

I've seen an extra metal strip being added to the bottom flange of the dash panel to stiffen it up. I'd started doing that on my 3w but decided against it as it was going to be awkward and ugly getteing around the glovebox hinge.

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

NSRA member
    I was thinking about folding something up that looks a bit like the triangular bracing panel that you see at the top of the cowl side and putting one either side of the dash panel but a bit shallower. I’m using a lokar goolsby panel so will have a chunk of the dash centre to remove. Needs to be stiffened up a fair bit I reckon.

any thoughts? Don’t like the idea of a load of tinware hanging off my fancy arse new dash.....!

Images
    You could weld a 1" brace across the left hinge post to the right one, following the contour of the bottom of the dashboard, and bolt the column to that...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    My T coupe has a complate steel frame around the inside of the dash & the column support bolts directly to that.

IMG00602-20100712-1924.jpg
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars