Thread: SBC Starter

NSRA member
    Images

SBC Starter

Replaced my starter on my SBC about 3 years ago and in the last year even though it always started a few few times it would just click a few times before starting so took it to our local Lucas workshop who replaced the solenoid, back in the car and it won't start on the key unless you bypass the gearbox inhibitor switch wiring and the feed to it. If you wire it from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid fine every time, before the repair it made the feed every time, checked the wiring with a meter and a bulb and full 12v all the way through. Run out of ideas, any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935F using NSRA mobile app
    Y Me!

NSRA member
    Images
    Jamie, obvious answer, dodgy neutral switch. Less obvious answer, wiring to and / or from the neutral safety switch somehow damaged or inadequately spec'd. Had this last issue with mine. My doing. Purchased car had no NSS so I fitted one and all was well until a couple of years had passed and I had the same problem as you. Was intermittent at first until it failed totally, but the meter said it was good! That wire needs to be surprisingly heavy, but the solenoid is a heavy draw which is easy to overlook.

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

NSRA member
    Images
    Thanks Chris trouble is that's it's worked ok since I put the starter in and the B&M safety switch has been in place since I installed it, previous owner hadn't bothered, it has a chocky block connector so going to solder the wires togeather and see. The meter says power getting to/from switch so always something to do!

Y Me!

NSRA member
    Images
    Yeah, volts, but amps? Hopefully both kinds, as the Blues Brother scene goes!
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Images
    Relay it with a 30 amp relay and use the switch to make the circuit not make the switch take all the load

NSRA member
    Images
    Thanks every one, next step is to put a relay in the circuit. Thanks again.

Y Me!

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    Relay it with a 30 amp relay and use the switch to make the circuit not make the switch take all the load
    ^This.
    Never rely on a crappy 10cent inhibitor switch to pass full current to the starter relay.