Thread: TH400 replacement with overdrive transmission

TH400 replacement with overdrive transmission

Have just bought street/strip pro street pop, it will be purely street car so need to replace TH400 with overdrive transmission for motorway use. Engine is SBC ( allegedly 435bhp 450 ft/lb torque ) th400 transmission and ford 9 inch with detroit locker eiiher 3.77or 4.1 gears and 31 inch M/T tyres. Don't want to use 700R4 as the ratios are not good so left with two choices either uprated 200-4R or gearvendors overdrive unit. Anyone using either of these.

Images
    I haven't used either, but isn't the Gearvendors overdrive an add-on Lay**** J-type variant, so will add a foot or so to the overall length, and shorten the propshaft accordingly? I had a Pop with TH400 and would have struggled to fit one behind that. I think The Skid Factory fitted a Hughes Transmissions' 200 to their recent Kingswood build on Youtube?
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Have the 700r4 rebuilt with the lower ratio (numerically) 1st gear and it solves your problem, I'm sure Zane will be able to advise better, but it's probably a cheaper option
    https://www.monstertransmission.com/...ios_ep_52.html

http://www.zannetec.com/

I'm using a 200R4 with my built 383 SBC using a formula I found the optimum rear axle ratio for my Jag irs diff (4.27:1) to give me the right engine speed (2000 rpm) at normal cruising speed (60 mph). Only went with it initially as it's the same dimensions as the TH350 I had before & space is limited in a T coupe, since found out they're a very strong & reliable trans & used a lot in drag racing. Had mine overhauled by Tony Gransden as one of the last trans he rebuilt before his sad departure & had the TC upgraded too.
    Last edited by MisteR Tee; 14-11-19 at 05:41 PM.
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

Had you thought about changing your rear ratio to something nearer 3 to give you the cruising rpm's you need - unless you are concerned about loosing some acceleration. Cheapest option of the lot.
    18 'til I die
    My Intro

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCubes View Post
    Had you thought about changing your rear ratio to something nearer 3 to give you the cruising rpm's you need - unless you are concerned about loosing some acceleration. Cheapest option of the lot.
    that would be my choice too, no engineering work at all. somewhere between a 3.25 and a 3.55 gearset would make quite a difference. you say it has a 3.77 or 4.1 now, you need to check that to be sure before ordering new gears if you chose that route. i wouldn't be too concerned about losing any acceleration, with that much hp/torque in a pop you'll be just fine.
    neil.

In fact I've now found my calculations & at 65 mph I should be turning over at 2082 RPM using 30" tall tyres, in comparison to the TH350 with a 2.88 diff at the same speed turning over at 2096 RPM. the 4th gear ratio (0.67 :1) will drop the effective rear axle ratio down to 2.86 (or up!). I could go for a 3.77 ratio which would drop it down to 1838 RPM but at the time I couldn't find one, however this ratio combined with the o/d trans gives me a low first but a high top, the best of both worlds (race on Sunday, cruise on Monday!)
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars