Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: th180 auto speed drive

th180 auto speed drive

hello all
    i have a Th180 3 speed auto that i just had refurbed every thing works has it should

however the speed drive for the speedo has 18 teeth and is red i believe this would have been in the gearbox when i took it to be refurbed
    problem is it isn't connecting to the drive wheel in the gearbox it measures 20mm does'nt seem wide enough to connect to the drive wheel

i can see on rimmer brothers site there is a grey 20 tooth speedo

now for the question do i just buy the grey 20 tooth one assuming it would be wider than the 18 tooth i have and be the same dimensions

or is there something else i need to look at

any help would be appreciated as always

john

Images
    The GM 180 fitted to the rover SD1s only ever came with electronic speedos, it's possible to adapt the electronics to a electronic speedo, so I've been told. Changing the speedo gear won't make any difference as it seems like you have to short a housing to make contact with it, there's a correct housing available in the USA, but postage make be a bit
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Turbo-TH...-/141612237473

Here's some details of which gears do what ratio for the speedo head
    http://wedgelist.triumphwedgeowners....DriveTrain.htm

Hi JSF thanks for getting back we have had this discussion before and yes you are right, however the electronic speedo attaches to the speedo drive inside the gearbox its the drive that isnt connecting to the gearbox spline
    has i said before i really appreciate your help
    john

Images
    Does it need moving in further to make contact? Is this an electronic setup or have you opted for the cable drive version ? I found the electronic speedo with the electronic pick up much quicker to set up. Never could figure the output from the drive

Hi JSF55
    it is pushed in all the way to the locator it just seems the diameter of the speed drive isnt wide enough to make contact with the gearbox drive. it is a electronic pick up but has i have smiths gauges these require a manual speedo cable and i've drawn a blank on how to change without buying electronic or GPS gauges {although this may be my only route} so what i done was have a friend make a part that i can put a cable into that goes into the end of the speedo drive to change to cable speedo as per conversation me and you had a while ago
    i spoke to Rimmer bros and they seem to think all the speedo drives are the same diameter only the amount of teeth change
    not sure if the bloke who refurbed it has come back yet maybe he will have some answers

thanks again john

Images
    Ah, that makes sense now, looks like the holder you have had machined doesn't have the right amount of depth to make contact with the gear ? How does it compare to the one in the ebay link above ?

that is the one i have the part i had made attaches the the part you have stated via the thread
    Last edited by louisjohn96; 19-11-19 at 09:38 PM.

if your speedo gear goes 'in' far enough but isn't large enough diameter to engage with the 'worm' bit on the shaft inside can you get your mate to make a new offset holder for the plastic gear to sit it where it needs to be for proper meshing? i've seen factory ones like it, mopar i think (might be another make?). just copy what you have but with the centre offset.
    neil.

Images
    Or shim underneath the gear to push it further forward ?

Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    Or shim underneath the gear to push it further forward ?
    he says it's in far enough but not big enough diameter to engage, that's why i suggested an 'offset' holder for the gear.
    neil.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    he says it's in far enough but not big enough diameter to engage, that's why i suggested an 'offset' holder for the gear. _smiley:
    neil.
    Yeah but it's weitd its not in the right place ... i would be thinking the outputshaft hasn't been put back together in quite the right order ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using NSRA mobile app

Images
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmItSPXd9Pc

At about the 6 minute mark

thanks matey i'll have a look when i get home and then brave the cold in the garage

[QUOTE=louisjohn96;570242]thanks matey i'll have a look when i get home and then brave the cold in the garage[/QUOTE
    Put your big boy pants on and get out there, lol.

mygasser at 52 if i lie on the floor i wont get up again, thanks for your comments i think you help last time when i was banging on about it a few months ago

afternoon all following my last message i have found out that the output shaft shaft drive gear retaining clip was broke hence why the speedo drive wasn't marrying up together anyone know where i can get on one these, ill call rimmers tomorrow but don't hold much hope with them
    john

Quote Originally Posted by louisjohn96 View Post
    mygasser at 52 if i lie on the floor i wont get up again, thanks for your comments i think you help last time when i was banging on about it a few months ago
    yep i was 55 thursday so i feel your pain

Images
    64 in a couple of weeks ! ... good find mate, might get a chevy one to fit ?

Quote Originally Posted by louisjohn96 View Post
    afternoon all following my last message i have found out that the output shaft shaft drive gear retaining clip was broke hence why the speedo drive wasn't marrying up together anyone know where i can get on one these, ill call rimmers tomorrow but don't hold much hope with them
    john
    so do you mean the 'skew' gear has slid along the output shaft out of line with the speedo cable gear? if so and a clip is unavailable a small tack weld will hold it in place.
    neil.

mygasser
    yes the skew gear slid along the shaft hence why it wasn't marrying up with the drive the retaining clip looks the same as the one on a 350 gearbox