Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear 4 bar question

had you thought about mounting the upper arms diagonally (similar to a mk3/4/5 cortina)? no need for a panhard bar then either.
    neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post
    Yup, spring off the forward link and de-coupled mountings plus a torque arm (the only way this will work).

That's what I thought and the side shot confirms that. Wouldn't it be better with a shorter shock/ longer triangulated arm so the load is already placed on it ? If you remove the rear bar the whole lot with rotate around the tyre footprint as the shock isn't seeing any load ( as shown set up in the picture).
    Galations 6:7

Mark, how low is the body / chassis combo then.? Should be plenty of room , what's in the way ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    That's what I thought and the side shot confirms that. Wouldn't it be better with a shorter shock/ longer triangulated arm so the load is already placed on it ? If you remove the rear bar the whole lot with rotate around the tyre footprint as the shock isn't seeing any load ( as shown set up in the picture).
    I'm not sure I understand the question
    If you look at the side picture you can see a lower link in the centre attached near the diff. This is the lower bar of a pair that prevent axle rotation (like half a four bar). The outer axle mounts allow the axle rotation in the mount which takes care of the forward/rearward bars tendency to twist the axle. The outer links only control longitudinal motion..
    I have seen this before on American sprint cars but as for the reasoning behind it-
    Layabout.

Paul, I did spot that other bar afterwards and edited my post...well I THOUGHT I did I walked away happy as that solved it wanting to rotate around the tyre footprint. After awhile though I though what about those rear facing links though, surely they will bind against that lower diff locating bar ?

Images
    No, the housing on the diff is free to rotate. The centre bars do the anti-rotation and determine the instant centre.
    Layabout.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post
    No, the housing on the diff is free to rotate. The centre bars do the anti-rotation and determine the instant centre.

Just spotted the panhard rod and at least one top bar ( 3link) to the diff centre in the first photo as well. Whatever happened to K.I.S.S ? LOL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I'm all ears , tell me how that works ? Unless there's something very trick that I'm missing all that's stopping that crashing to the ground is the rear link ?
    It looks like the rear links only stops the axle rotating Kev`, they don't actually act to support it off the road. The chassis weight looks like it`s supported on the triangulated link in front of the axle...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods