Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Basic Iva substantially modified bulkhead question

  1. #1

    Basic Iva substantially modified bulkhead question

    Hi, looking into the basic Iva test can anyone confirm what is substantially modified and shed some light on if my moggy needs the basic Iva test ?
    thanks in advance
    Andy
    Last edited by Drunkndrumer; 19-11-19 at 06:46 PM.

  2. #2
    NSRA member Morris460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,662
    Images
    4
    A clue as to what you have done would be useful.
    If you have cut and modified then it's BIVA time.
    "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

  3. #3
    Don't think there is a basic test, just the test.

  4. #4
    Sorry having problems uploading photos was hoping to show what mods I'd done

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by morris View Post
    Don't think there is a basic test, just the test.
    no BIVA anymore?

  6. #6
    NSRA member Morris460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,662
    Images
    4
    Basic Individual Vehicle Approval.
    "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

  7. #7
    NSRA member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,667
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkndrumer View Post
    Sorry having problems uploading photos was hoping to show what mods I'd done
    Pics help, thousand words and all that, but a written explanation could help in the absence of pics. But my fear, as a non specialist in this area, would be that quite literally anything beyond adding additional holes (or removing some) could fall into modified monocoque, and thus hello biva. Cutting / welding (if obvious) = bad (but repairs ok), hammered clearancing = probably ok.

    Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkndrumer View Post
    no BIVA anymore?
    Just BIVA no such thing as basic

  9. #9

  10. #10

  11. #11

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Hopefully you can see we cut the crossmember to get the engine as far back as we could due to the steering rack being the limiting factor obviously when the cylinder head goes on with the thermostat housing it’s still quite tight

  14. #14
    technically it 'should' be biva'd. couldn't you mount the engine a bit further forward so you could reinstate the section of crossmember? who's thermostat housing have you used? some are much thinner than others.
    i'm assuming it's a zetec of course?
    neil.

  15. #15
    NSRA member Morris460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,662
    Images
    4
    Wot Neil said.
    Shame to lose (potentially) the ID for an extra inch or two of engine setback.
    "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

  16. #16
    NSRA member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    368
    Images
    7
    Don't think it's possible to fit it all in without the bulkhead mod, and leave room for the rad at the front, and clear the front crossmember. This is quite a popular swop in the minor, jlh minors do a lot. If you look at the morris minor owners forum, there is a lot of info there.

  17. #17
    Thanks for the input guys! they are indeed JLH engine mounts and clearance at the front is tight but ok with a slim rad. i really need to get up to speed with all the regs and what needs to be done correctly
    is there anybody on here with a similar Morris that has been through the test?

  18. #18
    NSRA member kapri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    25,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post
    Basic Individual Vehicle Approval.

    As stated aboveby Paul the IVA system has 2 levels , a BASIC test for Amateur Built and Low Volume production and a NORMAL test for the likes of grey imports.

    I've replied to your PM about purchasing a copy of the Dummies Guide.
    Galations 6:7

  19. #19
    Looks like you have plenty of room width wise, why not fit a kit car type rad to one side allowing the engine to move forwards? Then when you turbo it later you can fit the intercooler the other side, lol.
    Or get a wider than needed rad and remove and seal enough tubes in the middle to clear the pulleys etc, I've seen it done before.
    We've fitted an mgb engine and box in a minor before, the same crossmember notch was needed but that engine is quite a bit longer than a Zetec and we still had the rad in front. I really think you should put the front panel back on with a couple of bolts to see how much rad room there really is, the panel has quite a bulge to it so it's deceptive. You may be surprised and be able to move it forwards enough to refit the bit of crossmember. It won't cost anything to check.
    Neil.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    Looks like you have plenty of room width wise, why not fit a kit car type rad to one side allowing the engine to move forwards? Then when you turbo it later you can fit the intercooler the other side, lol.
    Or get a wider than needed rad and remove and seal enough tubes in the middle to clear the pulleys etc, I've seen it done before.
    We've fitted an mgb engine and box in a minor before, the same crossmember notch was needed but that engine is quite a bit longer than a Zetec and we still had the rad in front. I really think you should put the front panel back on with a couple of bolts to see how much rad room there really is, the panel has quite a bulge to it so it's deceptive. You may be surprised and be able to move it forwards enough to refit the bit of crossmember. It won't cost anything to check.
    Neil.
    Not my car but is my intercooler setup and this is a supercharger as you can see no much room

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •