Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinion oil seal

Images

Pinion oil seal

I`m in need of a new pinion oil seal for my `46 Ford rearend!, the axle has a `Hot Rod Works` internals upgrade and open drive pinion adaptor.
    The only way the old seal would come out of it`s housing was by force which has resulted in it being bent so It`s not possible to measure the internal or external dia.

It has stamped on it... USA CR21061.

Can anyone match these numbers with a UK available seal or recommend a company that could do a match and supply?.

Thanks for any help ...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Try your local bearing supplier they can usually cross reference a seal number.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brading View Post
    Try your local bearing supplier they can usually cross reference a seal number.
    I tried that last week with no success Paul, thanks...
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Just saw that you have had and open drive shaft conversion, so the info I just posted would be no good.
    Last edited by brading; 12-02-20 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    I tried that last week with no success Paul, thanks...
    Was that BRT bearings Brizey?
    Galations 6:7

Images
    Found an SKF CR21063 lip seal online: https://fazziosurplus.com/skf-oil-seal-cr21063-alt125

If you haven't access to suitable measuring equipment then I've heard Hot Rod Works are quite helpful so an email may get you an answer?
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

If you click on Technical and it gives you the dimensions and it is in the UK if it is suitable

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p3...duct_info.html

Images
    One for Doug I would have thought

NSRA member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    One for Doug I would have thought

????

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Was that BRT bearings Brizey?
    Yes Kev, BRT in Fareham. He found out that my seal was an SKF item and only held in the US!. I`ve ordered 2 from him but they`ll take 10 to 11 weeks to get here, but I was hoping to find one sooner...
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    Found an SKF CR21063 lip seal online: https://fazziosurplus.com/skf-oil-seal-cr21063-alt125

If you haven't access to suitable measuring equipment then I've heard Hot Rod Works are quite helpful so an email may get you an answer?
    Cheers Chris. The outer dia can be measured but the inner lip had to be damaged to remove it from the adaptor and it`s the inner dia that varies with that series of seals...
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    Yes Kev, BRT in Fareham. He found out that my seal was an SKF item and only held in the US!. I`ve ordered 2 from him but they`ll take 10 to 11 weeks to get here, but I was hoping to find one sooner...
    Did he give you the SKF number, if so what is it. If you know the outside dia and the width just measure the size of the shaft go to the address as per my post #7 put them in the search by size boxes and see what comes up. You may be lucky.
    Last edited by brading; 14-02-20 at 12:02 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brading View Post
    Did he give you the SKF number, if so what is it. If you know the outside dia and the width just measure the size of the shaft go to the address as per my post #7 put them in the search by size boxes and see what comes up. You may be lucky.
    No Paul, he didn`t give me an SKF no., just that that seal can only be sourced in the states.
    The seal in your link is very close to my seals O/D and shaft dia. so for what they cost I may order one and see if it`s any good, even if only as a stop gap until the others arrive from the US!.
    Thanks...
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

I also did some research but only got as far as SKF taking over CR seals .

There is another good bearing place in Chandlers Ford , did have a rodder as a manager there, been ages since I've been there though . Blue Diamond , rodder is Steve Fry.
    Galations 6:7

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    …...There is another good bearing place in Chandlers Ford , did have a rodder as a manager there, been ages since I've been there though . Blue Diamond , rodder is Steve Fry.
    Cheers Kev, I keep them in mind if all else fails ...
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Just got this from a States forum that I posted the question on. Simplybearing as post #7 have also got that one.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...structions.pdf

Here is a link to SFK. Just put the number in without the CR. The 21061 is for a 2 1/8" shaft size, 1/2" width and the 19832 is for a 2" shaft size, 5/16" width they are both 2 3/4" OD.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...sealsfinder%2F
    Last edited by brading; 14-02-20 at 06:18 PM.

NSRA member
    Simply Bearings::::
    SKF CR21061 Double Lip Nitrile Rotary Shaft Seal 2.125x2.75x0.5 inch

Chemical Resistance Table [Click Here]

SKF CRWA1 Nitrile Oil Seals: These radial shaft seals have Waveseal lip design to reduce friction and heat generation. The seals have a single steel shell to simplify installation and provide a tight fit in the housing bore. The outside diameter of the seals is coated with Bore-Tite, a non-hardening, water-based polyacrylate sealant, which enables the seals to accommodate small imperfections in the housing bore. This seal also has a carbon steel garter spring and a non-contacting secondary lip. These seals are primarily designed for lubricant retention and are also suitable for exclusion of dust and light contaminants.
    Benefits: Reduced friction and heat generation, provides a tight fit in the housing bore, accommodates small imperfections in the housing bore

Learn More

Limited Stock
    Contact Us

Brand / Quality: SKF - High Quality
    Inside Diameter: 53.98mm = 2.125 inch
    Outside Diameter: 69.85mm = 2.75 inch
    Width: 12.70mm = 0.5 inch
    This is a metal cased seal with a Bore-Tite coating applied to the outer diameter

Images
    Cheers guys and thanks for all the help. A guy at `Simplybearings` should be getting back to me on Monday after doing some checks.

Cheers all...
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    The guy at `Simply Bearings` got back to me on Monday with some info which resulted in my ordering a seal which arrived today AM. The seal is the same as in Pauls link (CR21063) and looks to fit perfectly.
    I gave the roadster a 10 mile runout and no weep is showing ATM, so I`ll check again tomorrow and if still no leak will give it another runout.

Thanks to all for the help/comments (especially Paul for the link), hopefully it`s sorted! ...
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods