Thread: Drop tube / King pins

Images

Drop tube / King pins

This is on my 33 chevy , Has anyone seen king pins held in with grub screw ? All the speedway ones i look at use a cotter pin . Can anyone help to identified this one please , Looking to get new king pins , but dont know what make this is .
    Cheers Kev20200415_174205.jpg20200415_174230.jpg20200415_174409.jpg20200415_185923.jpg

NSRA member
    Images
    Don't know for sure but it looks very much like an aftermarket axle made for the likes of T's. Grub screw i'd say is fine, all it does is lock the pin in place so it's not turning in the axle boss and / or falling out, but it's not doing any really hard work, or shouldn't be!

Why do you say you need new pins? They shouldn't wear really, that's the job of the bush. I'd guess if there's play it'd just need new bushes. You'd need to strip down and check / measure. Bushes would just be regular engineering parts. Likely need to be reamed / honed to fit.

But if you're at all like me you'll be trying to have all the bases covered, parts identified and bought etc before stripdown. Great way of accumulating a pile of bought in error items!

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Images
    Cheers for reply chris , Had it apart today & had play in the straight ahead driving position , Turn slightly , No play . So as you say just trying to identify what i got , To find a supplier of the bushes before i take the king pins apart . The play is not to bad , But now i know it there ......... It looks a well made old part , Not a modern Chinese part .
    Thanks for you help Kev

my speedway drop tube has grub screws holding king pin in

NSRA member
    The drop tube on my old Y was by Wisbech, and had grub screws.

Sent from my iPad using NSRA mobile app

Images
    Was the `33 built here or in America and what are the brakes from?.

That spindle looks like a `49-`54 Chevy item which were common on aftermarket tubular axles on `T`s etc, right up to the early 2000s!...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    My first thoughts were Chevy as Brian said. There should be information out there online on their dimensions so just measure up your kingpins to see if they match. I think some later '50s F100 had that style backplate mounts but I'm sure the spindle part was less elegant than yours.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Images
    Thanks Guys , The car was built in America , The front brakes are 54 chevy , so the spindles are 49-54 chevy . Thanks again .

Images
    On speedway motors website,standard 1949-54 Chevy car spindle king pin set.part #91032123 could be what your looking for.ive got this set(one shim missing)if you needing it.

Images
    Thanks , Just had a look at that set , It seems to use cotter pins to hold the kingpins in , Mine has grub screws , Or do you think its universal cotter pin or grub screw ?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgunn159 View Post
    On speedway motors website,standard 1949-54 Chevy car spindle king pin set.part #91032123 could be what your looking for.ive got this set(one shim missing)if you needing it.

Images
    I don’t know.it years ago when I assembled my front axle.

Images
    Looking at the Q&A for the Chevy spindles on speedway the grub screw will work,I use a grub screw on my axle and that king pin set must be the one on my spindles.

Images
    Ok thanks , I will ask on the speedway live chat , see what they say