Thread: Ford flathead V8 i.d. please type ☆B18F☆

New guest

Ford flathead V8 i.d. please type ☆B18F☆

In a few days i have to register my 32 tudor for a Dutch registration.
    Original engine was cracked and not worth repairing.
    For registration i probably have to prove where it came out and what specifications it has.
    Engine now be a 1937 out of probably a firetruck.
    Engine number starts with ☆B18F☆
    Anyone has an idea where it came out originally.
    Some numbers also look odd .
    Any help is appriciated
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dutch deuce; 30-05-20 at 08:17 PM.

the engine. The engine serial number is stamped into the top of the flange of the transmission where it bolts to the bell housing. This was done to simplify registering the vehicle in jurisdictions where the engine number is recorded on the vehicle registration form. By stamping the serial number on the transmission, the owner did not have to change the registration when he replaced a worn out engine. So that means if the engine is of the correct year for the vehicle it is installed in, it is a numbers matching engine.

YEAR

ENGINE TYPE

MODEL DESIGNATION

V8-85

V8-85

V8-85

V8-85

V8-85

V8-60

V8-85

V8-60

V8-85

82A

81A

V8-60

V8-85

922A

91A

V8-60

V8-85

022A

01A

V8

11A

V8

21A

V8 59A

V8

69A

V8

79A

V8

89A

V8

V8

8BA

8EQ*

V8

0BA

8EQ*

V8

1BA

8EQ*

V8

2BA

8EQ*

V8

3BA

8EQ*

V8

3BA

8EQ*

Flathead Date Code

On late model flatheads without the bellhousing cast into the block, there is a code stamped on the right rear corner of the intake gasket face of the block which will give you the manufacturing date of your flathead Ford or Mercury. You can see it with the intake manifold and heads still on the engine.

It consists of a series of a letter, a one or two digit number, and a second letter. The first letter is the month. The number is the day, and the second letter is the last digit of the year.

The letter code is M=0, G=1, B=2, L=3, A=4, C=5, K=6, H=7, T=8, R=9, S=10, E=11, F=12.

G 20 B would be an engine manufactured on January 20, 1952.

As for the other styles of blocks, most folks can identify the engine series if not the exact date of assembly. If you can't, refer to one of the flathead books available or one of the other flathead web sites.

I should credit Flathead Jack's catalog as my first source for this information, although I have now seen it in several places.

Please remember that it is possible, even likely, that the year the engine was assembled will be the year before the car's model year. Also, I have heard, but never verified, that if Ford rebuilt an engine, they changed the date code to reflect the rebuild. I have seen flatheads on which the date code appeared to be missing, although I suspect this is an artifact of time, rust, and/or machining.

Here are four photos to help you find the code. I hope this is helpful.

Images
    American V8s didn't have the number stamped on the block but British and I guess (some) European countries may have been stamped to meet local requirements. As I understand it, 18 means V8 and F means 'foreign', as in right hand drive. I had a South African '34 Tudor and the number started with C18TF. I can't remember what the C meant - maybe Model C although B on yours wouldn't be Model B if it was from a '37? Never got a straight answer on the T either!

PS Is it a pump-in-block or pump-in-head engine?
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Form what I have sourced. B = Truck 18 = 1932 with a 221 cu in ( 3.6 L ) V8 engine F = Right Hand Drive

Images
    It`s possible the *B18F* could be a reference to part of the chassis ID number, which is the nearest I`ve seen in that kind of sequence; also in some European countries both the chassis and engine number were the same.

My original `32 frame has it`s number stamped on the frame itself and starts *C18D*, this particular code meant that my frame came from Canada (C) in knock down form, was a V8 (model 18) and was assembled in Dagenham (D), hence the C18D ****.
    If it is a chassis number and being a European motor it`s possible it was a Belgium built car (B) a V8 (18); but, Fords Belgium plant was in Genk, which obviously doesn`t fit with the letter `F`!...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    And the numbers look fine - I have some Pilot engines with the same oddball font. I think was a European thing as American chassis that I've had had simpler characters but English ones had these stylised ones.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

New guest
    Okay. thank you all for the reply. I hope the inspection will be without to much hassle