Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help to bolt on drive shaft cover

New guest

Need help to bolt on drive shaft cover

Hi again!
    after two weeks on the car every day I stuck at the moment with a silly problem. maybe you have an idea....
    I reassemble the drivetrain and everything went fine until I tried to bolt on the cover bell of the drive shaft (sorry dont know the exact english name).
    there are the bell, a paper sealing or two and a kind of brass washer to align in the same direction to get the bolts in.
    I will try to show a picture.
    problem: I cant move that washer (4513) so there is no way to put the bolts in!
    I loose the clutch, put in neutral, move the wheels, the engine EVERYTHING... nothing helps. everything is flooded with grease hehe
    and also I am not sure wich bolts to use there. whats a Y-20900 ?

ANY help is welcome, thanks guys!

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-4b...58492.jpg.html

-hope the picture upload is OK? -sry, I cant upload from PC
    Last edited by Poppe; 06-07-20 at 08:22 PM.

Contact these guys " https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/ " they are very helpful.

Images
    You called it a washer but isn't 4513 the inner cup/bell that the torque tube pivots around? On Model A, B, etc., you have an inner and outer cup that anchors the torque tube while allowing it to pivot.

Whatever parts you have there, if you cut the heads off a couple of bolts and wind them loosely into two of the fixing holes they will act as guides while you get everything lined up and put the proper bolts in the other two. Then just wind out the two studs and replace with the remaining bolts.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Images
    What you call a "washer" (4513) is actually a flanged `cup` that the ball (or belled) end of the torque tube rotates against, Martin!. The 4 holes that mount it all to the back of the transmission are offset so you may need to rotate part 4513 a 1/4 of a turn to get the holes to line up!. If it wont rotate try pulling the rear axle away from the trans so all the parts are loose, which should then allow it to rotate!.
    Part Y-20900 are the 4 bolts that bolt the ball cover and torque tube to the trans...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

NSRA member
    Images
    Not sure but I'd guesstimate y20900 is a 3/8 unc bolt

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

New guest
    thank you very much!
    I've got that now, and I have an idea why I could not rotate the part:

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-17...43860.jpg.html

(yes, it did not fit on the lifting platform )

I hope I can return the favor sometime

New guest
    its me again - thx to everyone,
    now I was able to align all the parts and finally--- got the wrong bolts...
    I bought the 7/16" for modern seat belts... OK,
    could please someone confirm the Y20900 is a 3/8 UNC?
    I have never seen something like that in german workshops - so where can I get 4 of them?
    smallfordspares doesnt have them listed *PANIC*

NSRA member
    Images
    What does the hole measure - the threaded one, naturally!?

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

New guest
    around 11 mm
    M10 slides easy in, M12 no way!

found some in zollshop.de hope they will do it.
    crazy, the complete car was ok and then they use so spechial bolts only there...

sounds a little like a 7/16" - 14 UNC ?
    Last edited by Poppe; 13-07-20 at 07:49 PM.

Images
    11mm would be the size nearest to 7/16ths https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/tech-info.html

Yo need to work out if it's a course or fine thread, if it's into a casting it would probably be a course thread
    Are you a member of the ford side valve owners club run there own spares service and would be able to advice on the correct parts and any other spares
    www.fsoc.co.uk

Images
    It might be worth contacting Ed Lloyd at Ed's Rod Shop: http://www.edsrodshop.de/index.htm

He deals with Model A, Model B, etc., but even if he is not familiar with small Ford drivelines he ought to be able to help with Imperial nuts and bolts.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

New guest
    thx for the link! - also in Germany
    but I can order them anyway.
    so I will take 7/16 AND 3/8 UNC and hopefully have something right
    then I can cornfirm here what the misterious Y20900 is
    Last edited by Poppe; 14-07-20 at 07:40 PM.

3/8 is smaller than 10mm and you said 10mm's too small so i wouldn't bother with that size.
    neil.

NSRA member
    Images
    I'm confused - quiet at the back! What car are we talking about here?

Chris

An unadulterated Ford Pop.

New guest
    its all about about my 1954 Pop. The torque tube has to be bolt on the gearbox.
    M10 is slightly smaller than 10mm, so 3/8 could be OK. I got no idea. something MUST fit, I go crazy ^^

I just gonna order both kind of bolts and after holiday in 2 weeks hopefully we all know what a Y20900 means

Eds Rod shop is sadly closed, no answer from there http://www.edsrodshop.de/Startseite/

NSRA member
    Images
    Ah ha! a Pop! Looking at the forums via 'new posts' and never paying attention to the sub forums can make you make a fool of yourself! ha hah.

Sorry i can't help, but there must be someone with a pile of stock stuff lying around???????

Chris

you said you were going to order both 3/8 and 7/16 bolts.
    you also said 10mm is too small.
    as 3/8 is smaller than 10mm it will also be too small.
    it would appear 7/16 is what you need.
    i think that's clear.
    neil.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppe View Post
    Eds Rod shop is sadly closed, no answer from there http://www.edsrodshop.de/Startseite/
    That's a shame, he did some very nice work. I didn't find that page on my links.

Shine is Fine

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Ah ha! a Pop! Looking at the forums via 'new posts' and never paying attention to the sub forums can make you make a fool of yourself! ha hah.

Sorry i can't help, but there must be someone with a pile of stock stuff lying around???????

Chris
    sorry for wasting your time but I WAS digging in the forum for hours!

Sadly there are many posts linking to dead websites or unvisible pictures cause they are 10 yeas or older.
    I found a lot of torque tubes (not the bolts) and so I thought it would be worth trying to start a new thread asking for a simple original bolt named Y-20900