Thread: 32 Model B Pickup rear spring rates?

32 Model B Pickup rear spring rates?

I need to get some 2 1/4” springs for my rear coil overs for the rear of my pickup which is being built. I was just wondering if anyone can advise spring rates if you have some fitted on yours. The cab is grp but the bed will be metal and the IRS is 2006 s-type jag. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine with the same spec was running single shocks rated at 450 each . So 225 to 250 for 4 . Reason it still looks high is because there is way more weight on the back than you'd think due to the engine being behind the front crossmemeber and not over it .
    Galations 6:7

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Mine with the same spec was running single shocks rated at 450 each . So 225 to 250 for 4 . Reason it still looks high is because there is way more weight on the back than you'd think due to the engine being behind the front crossmemeber and not over it .
    Many thanks for information. I have gone for 2 x 450lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    kev did you see the '2006' s type irs, not an 'old' s type irs? completely different animal.
    neil.

Nope , I didn't spot that However it's still the same weight to be suspended at pounds per inch spring rate ie including diff weight as IRS ? Or is it ?

Images
    Spring rate Vs wheel rate Kev
    Layabout.

Yup also depends on angle of mount, width of axle , point mounted from fulcrum etc. Has anyone pics of the back end he's talking about as I can't find any?

I generally work out what's required by using a known rate spring and doing the calcs to get the right amount of compression which in turn would give correct spring rate.
    Last edited by kapri; 10-07-20 at 12:57 PM.

here's most of one kev looks like the 'coilover' is about 2/3rd's of the way down the lower arm.
    neil.

Here is the back end.

I'll stand by my initial guess looking at the set up though diff looks like it will be a bit lighter . Will certainly be much nearer than using stock springs

Nce set of rails as well

Custom GAZ coilovers all on and IRS all mounted up. Next job is to take it all off and fully weld all brackets, mounts etc.

i'm guessing the engine's not in it's final place sat up that high?
    neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    i'm guessing the engine's not in it's final place sat up that high?
    neil.
    was taking chassis off table. It was like crypton factor doing it yourself.