Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 window chevy truck build

5 window chevy truck build

i guess this'll need it's own thread that i can add to as and when. today i collected the cab, front wings, doors and grill bars for my 'what looks to be' rat rod build. it's a '51 5 window chevy cab and it'll be going on a chevy s10 chassis with whatever engine box is about when needed (currently a 318 mopar or a 287 pontiac). the cab/wings were part of an unfinished restoration and were blasted and left outside and the doors although having some paint now won't for long (i'll strip them and leave them outside to match, lol). i have a complete grill with some twisted bars and the guy i got the doors from had a set of straight bars so i got them too so i've enough to make a good grill.
    the plan is very low, no bonnet or slam panel and unless i come up with rear wings and running boards a stakebed. if rear wings and running boards come up i'll make a 'proper' bed as a mate can fold big bits up for me on his 10 foot long folder. anyway here's some pics and i'll add some of the chassis when it arrives next week.
    neil.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

That will keep you Busy Neil....

yes mate, it's next in after my valiant's back mobile again. it'll be correctly registered as a rebody on the s10 chassis so bullet proof id as it will be sold once finished (or at any stage during the build to be fair) so it needs to be right.
    neil.

Looking forward to it Neil.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

i'm collecting the engine and box thursday that i'm buying from 'rocker' on here. it's a holden v8 with a manual box, all dressed up and complete ready to go.
    neil.

Nice - worked on those a lot back in NZ

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

Looks a beauty Neil.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Images
    Is that an 'Iron Lion' like they built up on Skid Factory a little while ago?
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    Is that an 'Iron Lion' like they built up on Skid Factory a little while ago?
    that went straight over my head, lol.

(quote =) Looks a beauty Neil.
    Cheers. Tim W. (= quote)

sure does tim, cheers.
    neil.
    Last edited by mygasser; 22-07-20 at 08:46 PM.

today the chassis arrived that i bought from paul ('stilltrying' on rodsnsods) back in march. he's been really patient with me as 2 weeks after i gave him a deposit we got the covid lockdown. anyway it's at my mate john's yard now 'til i get some more room here at home. i had a quick look over it and it's got lots of good bits, 4 wheel discs, lsd rear axle, torsion bar front suspension (it's from a 4wd blazer so nowhere for coil springs), both propshafts, a tilt column with switchgear and even keys in the ignition.
    i know it'll need to be moted and taxed as it's too new but that's a small price to pay for a bulletproof registration once it's rebodied.
    neil.

we collected the holden engine and box yesterday from wellingborough. very nice guy called brian (rocker on here) and his missus who made a lovely cuppa. it looks like it'll be easy to swap the 4 speed rod box for the t5 5 speed i've got so even better.
    neil.

Nice one Neil, all going to plan then mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

yes tim, so far so good mate. i've been having a read up on s10 chassis swaps on american forums too, to see what they've done so i don't make some of their mistakes. it seems they like to swap the 4x4 rear axle with the 2wd one as it's narrower allowing bigger/deeper dish wheels to be fitted which as mine's a blazer chassis it's got along with rear discs and an lsd all as stock. also the torsion bar front allows easy ride height adjustment. the only downside to the blazer chassis is the wheelbase is shorter, but as i was undecided what to do bed wise that probably won't matter.
    the valiant's first anyway so i'll keep my eyes peeled to see what comes up in the mean time.
    cheers, neil.

just ordered a pair of 'glass rear wings from pro laminates. i'll make the bed in steel to suit along with running boards too. still no bonnet but i don't care if i run it without one.
    neil.

last big bit to buy was a bonnet, which i didn't care if it had or not. anyway after some haggling with a guy on ebay i've bought a good one with standard patina for the right money. only thing is i've got to go from here in kent to manchester to get it.
    unless anyone's coming this way and wants to earn some of their fuel money by picking it up for me and bringing it down this way (the closer to faversham the better). i'm on 07718339011 if you can help. i'm going to arrange picking it up next weekend in case someone offers to get it before then.
    neil.
    Last edited by mygasser; 01-08-20 at 10:53 AM.

so now i've bought a bonnet i guess i'll have to buy a slam panel and bonnet hinges to attach it to.......
    oh, wait i just did
    neil.

more pieces to the puzzle

I'd be interested to see the specific 3(?) pics that you use when notifying DVLA of the body change, and how easy that process is, or isn't.... (Of course I'll be just as interested to see the pics as the project progresses).

google dvla form v627/1. that's what you need to send with your pics.
    neil.

to go with the hinges and slam panel i popped to manchester from faversham in kent to collect the bonnet today. 4 1/4 hours each way . mind you i had a/c, cruise control and a cd multichanger full of 'old fart' music to make the journey a bit easier . i'm not sure yet whether to fix the 2 halves back together (now i've got hinges ) or fit a piano hinge from the back forward to where it starts to curve so it opens from either side with a support under the front of the hinge. what do you think?
    neil.