Thread: Builder needed for 42 Studebaker pickup project.

Builder needed for 42 Studebaker pickup project.

Hi all,

A good friend who is not computer savvy, is looking for a builder to take on a Studebaker pickup build, i will post photos as soon as I take them most likely early next week.

From what we have discussed the truck will need a new chassis and suspension, new motor and all the trimmings. We understand the costs of a build like this and want it done right.

We are based near Cannock Staffs, so local to us would be better, but build quality is priority.

Hope you can help.

Cheers Andy Young - Barlotti Boy

Images
    Call Wayne Clarke (his forum name on here is `Nobody`), he is in West Drayton near Heathrow Airport but does top chassis work...

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/show...367#post575367
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Is it already registered as Historic ?

You will also be aware that any decent builder probably is booked up to a minimum of 12 months ahead ??

Also are you looking for a turn key driveaway car or will you be shipping it around to get different jobs done ?
    Last edited by kapri; 13-08-20 at 10:54 AM.
    Galations 6:7

Another recommendation for Wayne, first class work and no bull **** promises.
    Odd Rods Custom Shop.

Chris
    You only made one mistake, you trusted me........

I am going to photograph the pickup tomorrow so will post a few photos over the weekend, thank you for your feedback, sounds like Odd Rods could be the shop for us. Cheers Andy

Thanks for all your help with this project, we have builder and hope to have the car on the road in the spring, will post photographs as we go, cheers Andy

NSRA member
    I think you done well to get someone so quick to be finished by spring.

Good luck and post some pics up.i thought the stude trucks were quite rare,until I built three on the trot.

I should imagine the company that uses milk crates and axle stands whilst boxing chassis doesn't have much of a waiting list now?

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I should imagine the company that uses milk crates and axle stands whilst boxing chassis doesn't have much of a waiting list now?
    Well that's one way of doing it.mind you pay for what you get.

Truck chassis really bow well when you box them.took some proper big clamps and ratchet straps to get the last one I did back in line.

Images
    Can't see the problem if the milk crates are calibrated...
    Layabout.

NSRA member
    Where was that? Ha.

Wouldn't EVERYONE like to know. It's the usual case of if someone gets named then a fan club will come running to defend them .That's why peope still get ripped off in this hobby. I used to moderate on here in the golden years and was threatened with personally being sued if I didn't take down threads that I knew to be truthful

They weren't / aren't the only shop like that .

I'm lucky that when casting around for someone to do work on one of mine to receive PMs advising me who NOT to use . That's because people know I can be trusted.

The photos were on the 'net ( still are) and I pointed out that I'd expect better of a pro shop . I was , as usual told that I didn't know what I was on about .Likewise all the GLARING errors in their work in photos for all to see .

Customer went quiet and then reappeared a couple of years later ,many thousands of pounds lighter, with a tale of woe , and with the vehicle with a new far better shop.

The old shop also ripped off at least one other EXPERIENCED rodder who has named and shamed on Facebook.

On a slightly different note one new shop was 'everywhere' ,with adverts in the right places and frequent editorial mentions ended up breaking up / selling on cars sent to them for work . When caught they simply moved to a new area and started again!!

For some reason,sometimes misguided loyalty but mostly wanting to be friends with a 'name' most won't name and shame.

I personally know of 2 cars that went straight from one well known defunct shop straight to another to be sorted out.
    Last edited by kapri; 24-08-20 at 11:20 AM.

NSRA member
    If you tell enough people you're good,I think in the end they believe you.also if you trawl enough forums

And Facebook pages putting yourself forward for any ones that's after recommendations,you will get work.ive sussed you don't need to show pics either to get work.

Op never contacted me,so I'd guess someone put themselves up for the work

I think facebook can be blamed for letting a lot of this happen ? SO many groups and pages all competing for attention that important stuff is easily missed as opposed to when stuff was all in one place...just like here before Rods and Sods came into being.

NSRA member
    I don't think Facebook is to blame,more people are to lazy to do their homework.

Wouldn't you want to see someone's work before you gave them a job,(mind there's a flip to showing too detailed pictures).

Many shops just seam to search out anyone asking for work recommendations.they don't show anything, but offer whatever someone wants.

Maybe if you are that gullable,you need to be ****ed over.

For the first time ever ,I had someone this year who actually got a couple of quotes for his work.amazes me that most don't even bother to do that..glad I'm busy and not desperate.

If you ever see me touting for work,please put me down.