Thread: Hi everyone

Hi everyone

I am running a 351 windsor with a Torker 2 Edelbrock manifold and 600 cfm Holley
    It starts fine and pulls like a train but the tickover is terrible
    Ive checked the float levels and even been on the phone to holley in the states to talk me through setting it up !
    Adjusting one of the air screws makes a difference but the other air screw makes no difference at all !!!
    On checking the plugs it seems to be running rich
    Does anyone know of anybody in the lincolnshire area ( Boston) that could set this carb up for me as im at a loss now...
    Thanks,
    Tony

hi tony,
    re the richness, have you checked the float heights? holley's have a flat screw on the side of each float bowl covering a sight hole. remove them and see where the level is, it should be just dribbling out of the bottom of the hole. to adjust it loosen the flat screw on the top of the float bowl that has a nut under it, the nut adjusts the float height (the screw is just to lock/seal it in place). turn the nut clockwise to lower the level. anticlockwise to raise it.
    as for one air screw not making any difference it sounds like a blockage somewhere, have you ever had a holley apart and do you have access to compressed air? if no and yes remove the screw and give it a blow through the carb where the screw goes. a carb rebuild could be on the cards.
    one last thing to check quickly, with it idling spray carb cleaner or wd40 around the carb base gasket and the inlet to head gaskets. if the revs pick up at any point there's an air leak which'll probably be a gasket issue.
    neil.

Hi Neil
    Yes set the float heights and the fuel is just dribbling out ( Holley talked me through it )
    Yes i have compressed air (will blow it through)
    Never had a holley apart but it is only 2 years old
    Will do the wd/carb cleaner test to check for leaks
    Its had new gaskets from manifold to heads
    Last time out it cut out in traffic and wouldnt start again so at the minute im a bit wary of using it ! (pushing an f100 on your own is no fun)..
    Its so annoying as everything else engine wise is spot on
    Thanks for your advice

Hi Neil
    There is an alloy spacer/ adaptor block between the manifold and the carb with a gasket either side, should i use any type of sealant when i refit it ? Doesnt seem to be anything on it at the minute !
    Thanks

NSRA member
    Rich normally means high float level, but check the float is not sticking, quite common on Holleys. If the idle screw has no effect it might mean your throttle blades are too open, exposing too much of the transfer slot which is a small channel at the bottom of the front rh throttle. Make sure this slot only exposes about 40 thou. An old trick is to get the blades closed and drill 1/8 holes at the front on the primary throttle blades when will allow some air for idle, but without exposing the transfer slot which in turn lets the main circuit activate causing rich running. Try Dave Vizards book on Holleys.

Sent from my iPad using NSRA mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
    Hi Neil
    There is an alloy spacer/ adaptor block between the manifold and the carb with a gasket either side, should i use any type of sealant when i refit it ? Doesnt seem to be anything on it at the minute !
    Thanks
    if the revs don't change when you spray wd40 around the 2 gaskets it's not leaking so leave it as is.
    neil.

Images
    Speak to Dave Gibbons at Rough Diamond Racing, he's the UK arm of TMCarburettors & will sort it out for you.

https://www.facebook.com/roughdiamondracing
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

Thanks for the info and got in touch with Dave but everyones a million miles from me!
    Ive got so much info now my heads a shed .....
    Not even getting any vacuum readings from the carb so how am i supposed to set it up !!!
    I will just keep trying to find someone nearer who can help as im at a loss now
    Thanks everyone for your help !
    Tony