Thread: how to lower the front

New guest

how to lower the front

hello guys,
    how can I lower the front on the pop without installing another suspension? about 1 Inch would be enough.
    We had someone in germany who reforged the original leaf spring, but the shop is closed.
    Can I get somewhere other bearings or install a stop or modify the leaf spring?

I don't think I am the first to have such an idea.

fit smaller diameter wheels and or/tyres. if you can weld cut the front crossmember flush with the inside of the chassis each side, slide it up and weld back in place with suitable bracing of course.
    neil.

Images
    If it doesn`t have them already, reversing the spring eye will drop it an inch...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

New guest
    thx guys!
    different tires, cutting and welding is no good idea cause due to german regularity I have to go all original there.
    Reverse the spring eye sounds perfect, how can this be done?
    I open the leaf spring and heat the ends and bend the eyes 180°?
    wohohoo, nver done that before.

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/ass...pring_Eyes.jpg

ya mean like this?

maybe someone got a used spring for practise or a reversed for sale?
    Last edited by Poppe; 21-10-20 at 03:08 PM.

New guest
    Hi again an a question:
    do you just flip the lowest leaf with the eyes and reassemble the pack?
    or do I have to bend it?
    it would be OK to have a softer spring, my front is slightly lighter than original.

NSRA member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppe View Post
    Hi again an a question:
    do you just flip the lowest leaf with the eyes and reassemble the pack?
    or do I have to bend it?
    it would be OK to have a softer spring, my front is slightly lighter than original.
    Reversing a spring is more involved than simply flipping it over! Yes, it will need to be 'bent'. Best done by a proper spring shop who would presumably be able to re-temper it too. I've heard of it being rolled with the addition of heat. Some homebuilders have used an hydraulic press and marked the spring in increments and then applied a measured amount of force to each marked place. Others just trace the shape on the floor and use a big hammer to beat it into shape! Have heard some spring shops just perform this rather neanderthal method, which doesn't make necessarily it wrong! Handy to have a spare main spring I'd have thought!

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

i've heated leaf springs and bent them to where i wanted several times. trick is to let them cool on there own and they stay springy, not brittle (very important that bit, lol).
    neil.

New guest
    thank you all for good advice,
    sadly I have never heared about a spring shop for leaf springs around ... but I keep an eye on it!
    This is more like a long term plan .
    maybe when the actual lockdown is over here it is possible to talk to some more expierienced mechanics here and ask them if they want do try it.
    Interesting that no pop-shop has reversed springs for sale

New guest
    thx, pretty helpful maybe I can do it by myself

Images
    3 ways to lower the front of a Ford Pop Martin, as done by Stock Car racers in the early 1960s.

1.Remove a couple of short leaves from the top of the spring pack and one of the lower (3rd one up) leaves.

2. is to fit longer spring shackles, you would need to experiment with various lengths to get the amount of drop required!.

3. Bend the end of the main leaf upwards (see photo). You may need to slightly shorten the next leaf up to clear the upward bend!...

Name:  DROPPED SPRING.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  320.5 KB
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

New guest
    thank you, Brizey!

this is also an interesting way
    I will keep you informed if I should have managed to do this in any way

the longer shackles sounds the easiest way by far. no heat, just some flat bar and a drill. all nuts and bolts fitment.
    neil.