Thread: 10 bold Chevy locker axel repair

10 bold Chevy locker axel repair

Hi all have a ford pilot with a Detroit locker axel - it has a leak and I’m looking for some one to repair in south east ??

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

Have a word with " Stueeee " on here.

NSRA member
    Images
    Can you hear that clicking sound too?

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Quote Originally Posted by brading View Post
    Have a word with " Stueeee " on here.
    Thanks you I will look him up

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Can you hear that clicking sound too?

Chris
    I haven’t driven it yet just trying to get bits done I know need doing - I hope there is no sounds !!! 🤞

Had a word with stueeee he’s working on he’s own projects atm so doesn’t have the time ! All good I will get it sorted - how do Identify what seal I need ? I have a try under the axel about 1 foot x 2 foot and it have about 2cm of oil in - does this mean there is no oil in the axel ?

I have found somewhere that will fit a new seal / gasket for me providing I order it ?

Any help would be appreciated

NSRA member
    Images
    I'd say a trAy of that size with that much fluid in would mean there's a lot that's not in the axle and I wouldn't drive it without checking it properly. They all seem to leak a little but that sounds crazy! Popping the plug out and chucking a litre or two in isn't too difficult? Can't see identifying the seal to be too difficult either - there must be loads of online resources. With a part number / specification / dimensions to hand sourcing it should be pretty simple, he said!

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Hey Chris yes that’s what I thought ! - yer I’ll fill her back up I’ve found the seal for the Axel easy I was wondering if it could be the prop shaft that leaking or is that not possible ?
    Cheers mate

NSRA member
    Images
    A leak from the diff area will most likely be the pinion seal, otherwise it'll be the seal of the cover. It'd be pretty obvious which is leaking. Other than grease in the cups of the universal joints there's no lube in the propshaft iteslf, so nothing to leak. With the amount you say you have leaked out you should be able to easily determine where it's coming from. I'd imagine you might see it pouring out! A piece of new cardboard of which I'm sure you have plenty delivered is a useful tell tale if it's not immediately apparent. A good wipe over, or better a thorough clean beforehand helps too.

Chris

Right I’m with you defo the axel then - I’ll have a clean up and let you know how I get on - is there a preferred brand of seal ?