Thread: Daimler v8, starter motor wiring

Daimler v8, starter motor wiring

hello,
    in need of any information/wiring diagrams/pictures, etc... for wiring the battery /starter motor ,starter solenoid, etc.. any help much appreciated.

NSRA member
    Images
    Not sure there will be that many around here that are familiar wit the exact Daimler setup, but with some more info, or even pics, I'm sure the generic advice will flow in abundance. There'll only be 2 kinds of system I believe, Country and Western**, but you can't have both (that I'm aware of).

**ok, pre engaged or throw-out

Just Googling Daimler V8 starter motor opens a whole world of discovery in which it looks like the mini starter (high torque things) is probably the way to go (and will be smaller which is always handy -exhaust and steering clearance) and also therefore of the pre engaged type. Original starters are probably humongous throw out types, they certainly were on Rover V8's, and best avoided - discuss!

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

NSRA member
    On our Ytype (standard daimler ) its the throwout type, & needs a separate solenoid, which is fed from the ignition & starter button, other terminal to earth. Big cables from battery to solenoid & then to starter motor. Original starters are large, but can be easily renovated if needs be. No, or minimal, oil on the throwout gear & spring otherwise it may attract dirt & gum up. Old fashioned system, but its still working after nearly 40 years in the y.

Sent from my K013 using NSRA mobile app

20201205_101147[1063] (2).jpg20201205_172926[1061] (2).jpgit's original throw out, came with no wiring at all, i can get a solenoid but unsure of what wiring/size/thickness etc i need,any pic's or diagrams would help, thanks guy's..
    Last edited by West; 06-12-20 at 08:22 PM.

NSRA member
    That plate looks like a cylinder head coolant blanking plate ( rear of head) and is bolted to the main live feed terminal of the starter. A bit risky using it like that! I'll see if i can draw you a diagram.

Images
    That should do it inertia-starter.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A405FN using NSRA mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tylf33 View Post
    That plate looks like a cylinder head coolant blanking plate ( rear of head) and is bolted to the main live feed terminal of the starter. A bit risky using it like that! I'll see if i can draw you a diagram.

yes its a blanking plate, first thing i could find to use jump leads to do a quick start up, this will be removed , thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    That should do it inertia-starter.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A405FN using NSRA mobile app
    fantastic , that's just what i needed , thank you....