Thread: Remote servo

New guest

Remote servo

Hi guys
    I'd like some advice please.
    I'm building a 1969 Rover P5B hot rod.
    I'm wanting to fit a remote servo but I'm unsure what to use.
    The car has a Jag front clip with single pot calipers, and the rear is Jag IRS with inboard gIrving rebuilt calipers.
    I want a remote servo to keep under bonnet area clear, I'm also looking for a suitable master cylinder.
    Hopefully someone can point me in the rite direction.
    Thanks all.
    Len

NSRA member
    Images
    I'm not sure of any applications involving remote servos theses days. Heck, I think I can only come up with one anyway, and that would be the p4 rover, and they're not neatly stacked in every scrappy these days like they used to be!! But to the rescue comes car builder solutions which I think list at least 2, including a dual circuit one which sounds like it could be a joy to plumb, but I could be wrong on that. Ain't ignorance great!!

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using NSRA mobile app
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Are you looking to hide the m/c as well ?
    Galations 6:7

I take it that you are thinking of something along these lines Kev. So you get a dual M/C as well. The Rover P5B was fitted a Lockheed remote servo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ElFvEbrywM
    Last edited by brading; 09-01-21 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brading View Post
    I take it that you are thinking of something along these lines Kev. So you get a dual M/C as well. The Rover P5B was fitted a Lockheed remote servo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ElFvEbrywM

Yup, that sort of thing or dual cylinders in reverse so they point inwards not outwards . I've bell cranked a couple of builds under the dash but all depends on available space.

NSRA member
    Images
    Some of the so called corvette style masters have ports on either side so you can plug the ones you don't require.
    Chris

Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

New guest
    Okay, a bit more info guys.
    I don't have room under dash for the system linked above.
    I know the p5b had a remote servo, on the inner wing. I know this cos I thru the piece of **** away.
    I want a remote servo out of the way under the car where there's plenty of room, under the bonnet is a 350 chevy motor, and I don't want a servo in there, the master does not have to be hidden.
    I have looked at car builder solutions, and yes there are options.
    What I'm after IF anyone can help is.
    Can anyone tell me which servo will work or will any servo do the job.
    My thought were if it's been done then it would be likely someone on here has done it or a similar thing.
    Cheers

When buying a remote servo check out what Kev has to say in #4 of this tread.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/show...ighlight=servo

New guest
    Like I said, it won't fit under my dash.

Not talking about servo under the dash , just TWIN master cylinders. However if you don't mind your m/cs on show you can fit twin master cylinders that generate the same line pressure as a servoed single master / tandem.

Also it depends on what sortof cam you are running as to whether a servo will be of any use by itself if the engine produces little vacuum. Then you get into the need for vacuum supplementation by eletcro/ mechanical means and finding room for all that gubbins.

Twin m/cs with a bias bar are by far the neatest and simplest solution.

So looking at youpost above you don't want to consider improved brake systems just a band aid on you existing system? If so most remote servos are 1.9:1 or 2.0:1 though OEM used to fit up to 3:! but these are not offered as aftermarket. As I stedin teh quoted post use a DEAR and DECENT servo or you'll end up with constantly locking on brakes.

P5B uses a 7/8" m/c but by adding in the jag rear you will be looking more like 1" or even 1 1/16ths master at which stage you have to start modifying mounting points as the bulkhead configuration changes from top / bottom Girling style.

NSRA member
    Images
    Kev, related question. For a given pedal input, say 100lbs, how much does each master get, assuming bias is set equally (and no parasitic loss in the mechnism). I can't decide if its 100lbs or 50lbs each. Its something I've never understood or tried to look into, or possibly have, but forgotten!! You see where I'm going with this and which is probably where you are already.

Chris

Images
    Lockheed do a 3:1 ratio remote servo as well as the lower ratios (Sorry Kev ) but it’s a single circuit servo ,you may be talking twin circuit.

buy genuine though,avoid cheap copies

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    Lockheed do a 3:1 ratio remote servo as well as the lower ratios (Sorry Kev ) but it’s a single circuit servo ,you may be talking twin circuit.

buy genuine though,avoid cheap copies

Always happy to be corrected where needed , 3:1 used to be Rover V8 p6 ?

Pipetech, if you have room for bulkhead m/c do you have room for a small bulkheard servo and m/c combo . You can buy a 7" direct acting servo that will take a varity of readily available cylinders 13/16 / 7/8 and 1" for sure.

New guest
    Okay guys, rite all I'm looking for is a braking system that works well.
    I've said what I'm running, if you guys with more experience than me recon twin masters is the way to go, great that's fine.Alternatively if someone can tell me if I use a servo what make and model do I need and we're to get it from.
    With me altering the braking system from stock I just thought I'd need something better than std.
    Thanjs