Thread: Bonded windscreen removal tool?

NSRA member

Thumbs up Bonded windscreen removal tool?

Hi folks, what sort of tool is best for removing a bonded in windscreen? I've seen some on flebay but they look flimsy to me. Cheers.

Images
    Used this when i was doing smashed out stuff in work, worked ok
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/drap...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

NSRA member
    Cheers bud

NSRA member
    Tools like that sort of work but bonded screens a griefy. On cars we have used for racing we usually stick a small thin screwdriver in on a corner and keep wiggling, then a larger one. Obviosly for a car thats preciuos you need to be careful, but weve done it on a classic 70s volvo we are restoring.
    #Theres also the cheese wire stuff, again not deal. Any pro screen fitters out there?
    Jim

Hi Guys

I have allways used a stanley knife with an extendable blade, having worked in a body shop i have used all kinds but found the knife to work best.

Cheers Ian.
    Member of the Long Roof society

NSRA member

Are you trying to save the glass? If so DO NOT attempt to cut it out with a cut out tool (the one with the L shaped blade and T handle) it stresses the glass too much.
    The only surefire way would be to use cheesewire,there's two types,braided for sawing and a square alloy type which you pull through the bond.
    Try not to drag the cheesewire over the glass edges,depending on access it might be useful to have an extra pair of hands.

If you go the cheese wire route make sure you wear saftey glasses, ive seen cheese wire break too many times. wouldnt use it myself but thats my choice.

Cheers Ian
    Member of the Long Roof society