Thread: Ok I need a little help- advice

Ok I need a little help- advice

When I got this engine I was told it had a slight leek from the core plugs or freeze plugs. I’ve broke the engine down and I’ve now found that it was the heads that was the problem. It looks like the core plugs in the head need replacing. Not a problem, the problem I have is Where the studs fit for the plug wire covers. They have been broken off and very close to the head. Any thoughts on getting these out or do I take the heads to a shop and get them refurbished? Thanks for any replies. Heads are 322 Buick 1954. Thanks Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

unless you're going for a 100 point restoration i wouldn't worry about them, it doesn't look like they leaked before. there are many ways to neatly route/hold your plug wires so if it were me i'd go that route. as i say it depends if it's a resto' or a build as there's quite a difference in requirements.
    neil.

Images
    Do you have access to a MIG or TIG welder? On the ones with a bit left sticking out I would place a washer over the stud and then build up some weld to a) add some material to get hold of and b) put some heat into the stud. Then weld an M10 nut or similar to that blob (it's OK to waste Chinese metric nuts ) using as high a setting as possible without vaporising the bits. Let it cool a bit and all being well the stud end will have shrunk and loosened slightly in the hole and can be wound out with a spanner. I have done loads of broken bolts like this, sometimes needing a couple of goes with the welding.

If all that fails and the ends are below the face of the head you can try carefully drilling out the remains, or at that point head to a machine shop.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Thanks for the reply’s it’s not a resto but I have new studs and a very nice pair of covers

The engine will be in gold paint and these are the coversIMG_4532.jpgIMG_4534.jpg

ok then, as above if you weld a washer to the broken bit left then weld a stud or bolt to that and you're done. once the covers are fitted all you'll see is the cover and whatever nuts you use to secure them. you'll save many hours work to achieve the same result, which is to attach those plug wire covers.
    maybe it's me but i don't like making extra work for myself and there's more that can be made much worse by trying to get the broken studs out than there is to be gained. after all they're only tin covers, not heavy and they don't have to hold oil or water so.....
    neil.

Yes I think that makes sense I would hate to do more damage than it’s worth. And like you say there not heavy at all. Thanks Neil. Tim.

yes the reason for the washer first is it's easy to weld in the middle of the washer to the old stud and the washer then gives you a larger 'footprint' to weld the new bolt/stud to.
    neil.

Cheers thanks for the help.