Thread: Rick Guzy’s old yard in Sunbury (back in the day)

Cool Rick Guzy’s old yard in Sunbury (back in the day)

Hello – does anyone remember there used to be an American car garage in Sunbury-on-Thames, run by a guy called Rick Guzy back in the 80s?

I got to know Rick through my dad when I was a young kid. We used to hang with him at his yard while he was fixing the cars etc. I used to love it down there and was obsessed with those cars! (years later I bought a 76 Corvette, by which time Rick had moved away and never saw it).

I wish I had some photos – does anyone here know what I’m talking about and perhaps have any old pics they could share of Rick’s cars or the workshop?

Cheers : )

New guest
    Don’t remember that yard but remember the Breakers yard that had home made Helicopter on the roof , powered by a British Twin motorcycle engine . Scary ! Did it ever fly?

Images
    I remember the breakers with the helicopter as well, but not the American one....where was this one?

Sent from my SM-G770F using NSRA mobile app

Who cares If It's glass or steel, It's still a hot rod.

Oh yeah, I do recall that place too : )

It was along the Upper Sunbury Road, opposite Hampton waterworks

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I remember the breakers with the helicopter as well, but not the American one....where was this one?

Sent from my SM-G770F using NSRA mobile app

Name:  Rick's 57.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  207.5 KBStingray I won't post much here as we've chatted but the yard is now a coach yard as you come into Hampton on the left. For any that knew him Ricky is doing fine. Top man who helped plenty of people back then. His '57 was well known back in the early/mid seventies.Name:  44946621_1534184183350459_6217498870776070144_n.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  51.7 KB
    Last edited by plumpcars; 20-02-21 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks for the pics Plumpcars! Wonderful to see a pic of Rick. The man's a legend : )

Images
    I remember Rick from back then but can`t say I ever went to his yard!.

I used to go to Sunbury Salvage on Fordbridge Rd a lot in the early `60s for Ford Pop parts for my bro-in-laws Y model stock car, spent many an hour clambering over the cars in there!. The main guy there was an ex F1 stock car driver named Tom who was blind in one eye.
    The helicopter that was there was powered by a Triumph twin engine; Tom told us that apparently it did fly when first built but was later grounded. Many people tried to buy it but the owner wouldn`t sell, maybe it`s in a museum somewhere these days!.
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

That helicopter was cool! Rick's place was much smaller and had some awesome 50s, 60s and 70s Americans : )