Thread: 1955 331 ci Chrysler Hemi

1955 331 ci Chrysler Hemi

For sale is a 55 331 hemi as per title . The engine has had the heads removed for inspection and shows signs of wear on cylinder thrust face . Engine turns freely but was partially stuck when I took possession due to minor water ingress. Water had reached one cylinder due to poor storage . The amount was minimal but sufficient to cause very minor corrosion to the cylinder wall on one cylinder . The minor water damage was not serious but has left a small stain on the cylinder wall. The engine now turns freely.

If you were after looks over performance I believe this engine will run sufficiently well when reassembled, although it will obviously benefit from a rebuild for more performance orientated builds .

The engine is complete with heads , inlet, water pump, bellhousing plate, starter, and exhaust manifolds . and Chrysler firepower valve covers . A repair has been made to the water neck on the inlet manifold but looks old .

Will get pics as currently buried under blankets in the corner of the garage .

Looking for offers in the region of £2000 .. I put that price because a start price is required , open to sensible offers ..
    Last edited by its still redoxide; 01-05-21 at 01:00 AM.

Hi has it got triple knickle heads?

Hi Tim give me a part number / casting number and I will check.. Im not pretending to be a Hemi expert in any way shape or form , Liked the look of it liked the idea of it dont like the cost of achieving it so will stick with the fatheads, not that they are any less costly ..

Cant remember to be honest but the long number has three 5s in it if they are the correct ones, is this Brett?

Tim, no its not Brett, you and I have communicated in the past either here or on the MD .. I made an enquiry re the Hemi you were selling and pulled out for various reasons .. ended up buying a built Flathead from Dom. which is sat on its pallet waiting for the right project ..

The Hemi I have here came from the USA via a good friend . I was taking the motor in exchange for some work to one of his projects .. Enine was complete but had just been unlucky witht he storage in my buddies old shed ..

When I got it it wasnt stuck but it wouldnt fully rotate in one direction.. So I pulled the heads and found a small ammount of water in one cylinder Bore wasnt rusty but there had been some reaction . Cleaned up the bore and it turned fine . measured it up and confimed there is bore wear with a very slight ridge at the top of the bores . The motor was just greased up and stored for the time being .

Ive decided that I dont want to invest in it as Im just going to finish the 2 unbuilt projects I have here using the flathead parts i have available .. so deciided to shift the Hemi along .. I would consider an offer on it , its just sat in the corner covered over waiting for the right project ..

Its easy for me to check the heads, They are with the motor . Motor comes with rebuilt water pump, cast iron exhaust manifolds , Im sure there is a 2 barrel and 4 barrel cast iron intakes and a rebuild gasket set, the plate for the back of the motor to transmission is also present along with the starter .

i think you bought that 30/31 door bottom off me and franky dropped it off?

Thats me .. Door bottom is now part of my 31 coupe .. I also nailed together Franks T and the yellow coupe ..
    Last edited by its still redoxide; 30-04-21 at 08:30 PM.

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by its still redoxide View Post
    Thats me .. Door bottom is now part of my 31 coupe .. I also nailed together Franks T and the yellow coupe ..
    Nailed together ! You uses proper 6” nails ! None of those shoddy 4” ones 😜

thought i knew the handle, ill have a think trouble with them bits are so bloody expensive

much the same as flathead stuff these days ..or Hot Rod stuff as a whole ..

I know its nuts really but what else do we do?

SELL... or build what you like as cheaply as you can , they will probably be worthless in a few years ..
    Last edited by its still redoxide; 07-05-21 at 07:57 PM.