Thread: Flathead V8 or small block 327

New guest

Flathead V8 or small block 327

Hi all I’m new to the hot rod world and although I’m no stranger to rebuilding engines
    such as Ford cross flow or my beloved Reliant engines which i learnt how to rebuild from a young age and it’s earned me Some extra pocket money and some what of a reputation in the reliant world.

I would really like to find a 255CI Mercury flathead V8 but I would settle for anything flathead if I can find one at a reasonable price.

failing that a 327 small block Chevy v8 would be another choice.

if I can find one at a reasonable price and start to rebuild it, that is the start of my journey into the rod world.

both great hot rod engines ... cost wise the SBC would be a bit cheaper and lots of spare parts around at sensible prices

Mal
    I was told hotrodding was expensive, I laughed.......but it wasnt for long

if your going flathead go for the french flathead out of a truck simca already relieved has 255ci and far better casting than the usa one.unfortunately the french bit put me off but some might not worry.

you'll probably get a 350 sbc and definately a 305 sbc cheaper than a 327. they all look and sound the same and the smallest is still 5 litres and will blow the doors off of most flatheads while still being much more economical doing it. just saying.
    neil.

Dont overlook a 331 Chrysler Hemi if your thinking of a hot rod engine to rebuild .. saying that, because I have one for sale . Just ready for a rebuild . Less money than a Flathead and way more cool than a chevy .

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by its still redoxide View Post
    Dont overlook a 331 Chrysler Hemi if your thinking of a hot rod engine to rebuild .. saying that, because I have one for sale . Just ready for a rebuild . Less money than a Flathead and way more cool than a chevy .
    ive sent you a PM about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman Milner View Post
    ive sent you a PM about it.
    replied ..

Ref the flatheads I would offer this more as an observation, dont go for the french flathead , the reason I would say this is for a novice flathead builder the french engine has a few unique features that can make it a wee bit more confusing to build than the original 59A or 8BA range .. but thats not to say the french motor should be ignored , they are reputedly much better blocks.

I know a fella that sheared a french crank doing nothing more strenuous than driving it though..

In a light car the flatheads are tourquey engines , with the right gearing they can trot along way beyond the legal limits.. But for sheer brutality a Hemi or a Nailhead is a good choice with great visual appeal .. I drove my buddies 425 nailhead motored 30 coupe to my shed earlier , with just the other side of 400bhp its a scary beast compared to my old 100bhp flathead powered coupe . chalk and cheese ..

For ease of build the chevy would probably be the cheapest but none will actually be that cheap .. Boring a pot on a chevy will cost the same as a flathead and the same as any other engine , chevy parts might be cheaper ..?
    Last edited by its still redoxide; 30-04-21 at 03:53 AM.

New guest
    hi i have 2 flatheads problem is im in Jersey both need rebuilding lots of parts to go with email me if interested heritagetrimjsy@gmail.com ill give you my number

New guest
    i still have two flatheads

New guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fat fredee View Post
    i still have two flatheads
    Hi there what make and model of flat head engines are they?

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app