Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Somewhere over the Rainbow.

Only a small update tonight as it was our club night, but I got a couple of coats of gloss on the crossmember & front spring.

896 hours.

Still making good progress Mark, I just noticed the hour count... Nearly 900

Cheers Tim W

Sent from my G3121 using NSRA mobile app
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Hi Tim,

Yes it's going to clear 1000 by the looks of it.

Tonight was a bit frustrating.

Crossmember was fitted back up - I had to run the drill through the holes again as they had tightened up a bit with the heat from welding, but then it was put back on the car. I just need to get new washers & nyloc nuts and it can be torqued up properly.

Then it was time to strip the front hubs and split them so new studs could be pressed in. Drivers side went ok though it was a little disconcerting as to how loose all of the bolts were on the calipers and brake fittings - barely any effort on the spanner to undo any of them.........

Passenger side.....not so good. Wheel bearing was seized onto the stub axle - some gentle persuasion with a lot of gentle tapping with a hammer on the disc as the disc was spun saw it slowly come off.

Inspection shows it had spun on the stub axle picking up metal and scoring it. The outer race also spins freely by finger in the hub - though this can be fixed with some bearing fit loctite.

I carefully dressed the end of the stub axle and the bearing is a reasonable sliding fit now, but we will look at the spare one off the crossmember donor to see if it's the same and a good replacement.

So not a lot of progress for an evenings work

898 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post
    Hi Tim,

Yes it's going to clear 1000 by the looks of it.
    It's going to leave quite a void in your non work time when it's finished Mark!
    Your going to need another project mate

Cheers Tim W

They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Don't worry, mrs blackpop has plenty of work she wants done - house extension being the main one.

with an 'over order' on materials meaning you may as well extend the garage too?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post
    Don't worry, mrs blackpop has plenty of work she wants done - house extension being the main one.
    You'll not be getting bored then!

Cheers Tim W

My Pop My Intro

The way it's going on Phils car at present it will be 2050 before it's done.
    Bloody thing is fighting back hard right now as we just cannot seem to get the axles square on the measurements.

Are you using a laser to pick up the centre to see if it runs parallel with the chassis ?

Hmmmmmm.....yesterdays progress was........ARRRGHHH!!!!!!

Trying to get it all square was not going well. Hours of plumb lines and measuring and we were still appearing to be 15mm out on diagonals.

903.5 hours.

Ahh, today ended up as a very good day.

Armed with a full CAD drawing showing all the dimensions the car SHOULD be we started over re-checking the centreline and that the front suspension was indeed square. With this confirmed we re-did the diagonals to the rear suspension outer hub centres as per the CAD drawings.

They were nearly correct - which was very reassuring! Drivers side needed to come forward 2mm and passenger side rearward 4mm.

We think were got a bit snow blind on the measurements yesterday, with a good nights sleep and some thinking time this morning combined with the CAD drawings it all became a lot simpler & clearer.

Much fighting with the rear axle parts ensued as we did not want to jack the car up as we did not want it to move, so space was limited. All my lovely wiring of bolts had to be cut off but eventually we had the fulcrum arm mounts loosened off.

With those loosened the outer hubs were gently knocked to get the centrelines in line with the measurements on the CAD drawings. Once they were in line we checked the gaps where the fulcrums fitted to the diff, passenger side needed a 40 thou shim at the front and drivers side a 15 thou shim at the rear.

With all of that shimmed up and tightened up again the measurements were rechecked and were accurate to the mm to the drawings. We checked the hubs with some steel bars clamped to the wheel hub face and we also have .5mm toe in per side over approx 500mm distance - which is what is needed for the axle so that was finally classed as a win!

We then had to reassemble the radius rods and adjust their length as these had altered with the axle adjustments. Last job was altering the diff strap plates that bolt across the fulcrum arm mounts - again the front one needed the holes widening by 40 thou and the rear by 15 thou.

Finally the suspension is 100% square - I'll reserve judgement on complete success until we drive it and it runs straight - but it should do.

It's not much to look at in the photo as it's up on stands so I can touch in all of the chips on the bolt heads and parts that got marked for the work, but its a huge step forward in the build - it 'ought' to be fairly easy from now on as all the work left is pretty straightforward.

Tomorrow we hope to reassemble the front suspension.

909 hours.