Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Somewhere over the Rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by v8pop View Post
    Nice progress Mark, I really didn't realise how much people are spending in their Rods these days

Cheers Tim W.

Sent from my G3121 using NSRA mobile app
    Only some Tim, I think most are more like us with more limited budgets. It's a bit of an eye opener talking to some people and finding out how much they have spent on cars though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post
    Only some Tim, I think most are more like us with more limited budgets. It's a bit of an eye opener talking to some people and finding out how much they have spent on cars though.
    Yeah Mark, t'would seem so.

Cheers Tim W

They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

No progress this week as work has been very busy and I've just been too tired to do anything on it. My friend Geoff came over Tuesday night (he's building a Pop as well) and had a look at progress. Unfortunately when we were looking over the body together we spotted a crack in the filler in the roof
    We are not sure why this has cracked as it's not an area with a joint or anything so it's a bit of a mystery. It has been ground back out to metal and inspected but I cannot see any reason for the crack. It's all been cleaned out and re filled so I'll just have to hope it was a one off problem.

Back on to the doors, all of the inner trim panel fixing holes have been drilled in both doors and both fully seam sealed on all of the panel edges.

Door hinges were also sealed to the door skins.

One small job I did do during the week was modifying the brake fluid reservoir to take the fluid level sensor that I got from Car Builder Solutions.

This led on to altering the dashboard for the extra warnimg lights, one for the brake fluid level warning and one for the rear foglamp. Carefully marked out for drilling;

And with the new lamps fitted (they match the 4 in the bottom of the dashboard).

The rest of today was the boring but necessary rubbing down of bodywork (& finding some areas that still needed a thin skim of filler) in readiness for the proper coats of primer.

Last job before packing up for the day was to give the workshop a good clean so I could paint the bootlid. First two coats on today, next 2 tomorrow.

Looks a good shine so far;

640 hours.

NSRA member
    Images
    Mark, thanks for the info provided a while ago, much appreciated. So many questions though! What filtration/ drying do you have between compressor and gun? Also, on the flg5, can you please tell me the male thread on the cup please (I'm looking to get one and also use 3m pps2 disposable cups but the details of the required adapter seems to be a bit of a secret, but the manual indicates its a male thread, so I expect it has to be something fairly standard).

Keep up the good work. Following along quietly here!

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using NSRA mobile app
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Images
    I didn’t know about those brake fluid level kits for old master cylinders Mark,a very wise fit,it looks like it increases the fluid capacity a small amount too.
    I guess it’s possible to fit a piece of polished ally tubing around the plastic if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Mark, thanks for the info provided a while ago, much appreciated. So many questions though! What filtration/ drying do you have between compressor and gun? Also, on the flg5, can you please tell me the male thread on the cup please (I'm looking to get one and also use 3m pps2 disposable cups but the details of the required adapter seems to be a bit of a secret, but the manual indicates its a male thread, so I expect it has to be something fairly standard).

Keep up the good work. Following along quietly here!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    I didn’t know about those brake fluid level kits for old master cylinders Mark,a very wise fit,it looks like it increases the fluid capacity a small amount too.
    I guess it’s possible to fit a piece of polished ally tubing around the plastic if required.

Chris,

I only have a water trap between compressor & gun, but I do route my airline up into the roof and back down again from compressor to water trap as this is meant to keep water contained in the tank. I drain the tank very regularly as well.
    I was sorely tempted to go for the 3M disposable cups - the added bonus of those is you can spray upside down as they work on vacuum rather than gravity. I'll try to measure the thread size later for you.

Ian, the reservoir extensions are from JJC race & rally, they almost double the amount of fluid in the reservoir. The level kit was from CBS and I had to drill out & modify the cap to fit it. The ally cover would kinda defeat the object of the visible fluid level though

An excellent day on the car today. Phil came over and we spent the day rubbing the entire body down.

I was intending to get the next two coats of paint on the bootlid, but after rubbing it all down, on inspection the top edge of the bootlid was not quite as smooth as I thought and it was a bit shy of paint thickness. Edges are always difficult to get enough paint on. So that was sanded down to remove the blemishes and then I carefully painted the edge in with a small artists brush. This was done twice so the bootlid will get prepped again tomorrow and painted then.

When rubbing the body down there was one bit bugging me, the bonnet latch bars. It's impossible to paint behind them and difficult to sand around so on the spur of the moment the drill came out and the rivets were drilled out to reveal the metal behind. Not as bad as we expected as there was never any paint behind them from the factory. A little bit of rust but not much. We did find a few areas that required a little more filler as well - one is in this photo.

When we had finished rubbing down we did a big garage clean to get all of the dust removed and then started masking the car up. The whole of the painted section of the underneath is fully masked;

And so is the entire body, windows were done previously, but now the doors are done as well;

And finishing off we had to crawl out of the bootlid and then mask that up with cardboard around the edges and some masking sheet in the middle - difficult masking the inside from the outside, it was like the Cheshire cat licking itself invisible in Alice in Wonderland!

Tomorrow I will finish masking the rear wheel arches up to the arch bolt line as they are glossed to that point. The plan then is to spot prime the few areas that we broke through to bare steel on the body and then gloss the bootlid and various small parts I have lined up.

Hopefully on Tuesday I can do two coats of primer on the body, if all goes well I'm planning on getting the front of the underbody in gloss including the front chassis rails, and getting the bulkhead glossed completely up to the body flange before I go Skiing next weekend. That will be another milestone if I can achieve that.

645.5 hours.
    Last edited by Blackpopracing; 23-01-22 at 11:14 PM.

NSRA member
    Images
    Going back in time? Or just lost about 100 hours, or got fat finger syndrome or summat??

Chris

Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

Dunno what you are on about

Chris,

The FLG cup has a thread 16.5mm outer diameter and 18 or 20 tpi (both guages fit perfectly). However, the collar it screws into is also removable so maybe the 3M has its own collar?

NSRA member
    Images
    Thanks! You no got metric gauges? Metric1.5 computes at just under 17 tpi, so its probably that, which would make sense. Your 16.5mm is probably 16. Can't imagine the thread would some oddball. But the 3m info is useless! Fine if you have a listed gun, of which the flg5 is not, which seems strange. Hey ho!

Chris

Chris, give sprayguns direct a call, they sold me the gun and the do the 3M parts as well, I'm sure they could advise.

Well, phase one of this weeks work went to plan. Body was spot primed on all the areas where we had broken through to metal or where filler had been applied.
    A posts looks better tonight;

Roof repairs sealed up;

And the bootlid had the last 2 coats applied.

Lets hope tomorrow goes to plan as well.

647.5 hours.

Good going Mark, boot lid looks well after all the extra attention. Good luck with phase two.

Cheers Tim W

They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Phase 2 tonight ended up being phase 1.5, lol

I had hoped to get 2 coats of primer on tonight using the wet on wet system, but reading up on the specs the window was minimum one hour for the second coat so not practical to do in an evening. The second coat will have to be done tomorrow.

For the primer coat I got out my big gun, a Devilbiss JGA. These are lovely guns if a bit old fashioned now but they do spray very nicely. I have 2 of them, a primer gun with a 1.8 tip and a topcoat gun with a 1.4 tip.

I know it looks like all the other photos, but Phil reads this and will like to see the car in it's first 'proper' coat of paint.

After that it's the tedious but very necessary stripping of the gun and thorough cleaning of all parts including all of the passageways & tubes to get it spotless. I have painted with this gun probably getting on for 100 times but it remains as new as you know it will always paint properly if it's clean.

649.25 hours.

I was taught time spent cleaning is time saved later Mark, solving dirty gun problems later is no was to work. It's looking good in it's new coat.

Cheers Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

NSRA member
    I’ll second that looks good. Well dun.

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

Like you say Mark a tedious chore but it pays off. Coming along nicely now, hope you do not have anymore sags.

I used to do the same when I was working in a bodyshop, also only ever used JGAs! I was also taught from my very first days as an apprentice in a main dealer to keep all hand tools clean & tidy, although some days you wouldn't believe it now!!
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

Phase 2 now complete. Second coat of epoxy primer now applied. I added some black into the grey to darken it so it was easy to see where I was applying new paint. It also makes it slightly resemble the final colour.

the next phase for the week is to get gloss on the front chassis rails and the bulkhead tomorrow night if possible.

Feel free to comment.

650.5 hours.

NSRA member
    Images
    Epoxy? Regular primer surely at this stage in proceedings, no? Sorry to be a pain!

Chris