Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Somewhere over the Rainbow.

Images
    Had a night off last night, but started back on it today. Phil came over to help and we got a fair bit done today. Looking at the photos there is not a lot of visual progress to show you though.

I stripped a bit more paint off the passenger side before Phil arrived;

Then I tasked Phil to remove the steering column and the pedal box and brake master cylinder. Very empty inside now!

This will make it easier to get into the footwell to do some welding as well as protecting the stainless column for welding & grinding spatter.

We got the car up on the hydraulic jacks and spent some time working on the drivers door to see where the interference was. I an very pleased to say that with some grinding of welds and some hinge adjustment the door now closes with no more interference fit. It will still need some surgery to allow enough clearance for paint and a door seal but I now know where it is needed and the A post can be left alone.

We then drained the engine coolant and removed the radiator ready for engine removal next week.

Next we spent some time welding up yet more pinholes in the bulkhead, Phil with a powerful lamp on the outside with me looking for light holes on the inside & welding them up. We then worked together to weld up lots more drill/bolt holes in the bulkhead, again Phil on the inside holding the steel filler peices or the copper block depending on the hole size.

We then moved on to the floor doing yet more holes! We did not finish as we have run out of steel discs to weld in the holes, I'll need to punch more out next week.

Lastly Phil removed the front wheels to sort a slow puncture and to get a tyre reversed as it was fitted with the tread pattern backwards.

Not a lot of car left now;

More progress tomorrow.

38.5 hours

Images
    Todays job was the roof.
    As it started, the gutter around the fabric needed trimming back for clearance so the fibreglass replacement panel would lay flat against the roof.

Grindy grindy, noisy noisy, gutter is now on the floor;

We now find the rust I was expecting to find on a car of ths age, the edge of the roof & roof insert gutters are in poor shape;

There was no way Phil could have kept the original insert, this is just a small section I have cleaned, the rest is not much better;

The new fibreglass 'fake' vinyl roof cover the gutters by approx 1" all around the roof so thankfully all we need to do is fully neutralise the existing rust and paint it as it will be under the new panel. This will be bonded to the roof with PU adhesive so will be fully waterproof.

I then stripped all the paint off the roof;

Which exposed the original seams with the lead loading on top;

Rear all stripped of paint;

And the new roof panel with the edge seal trial fitted on the roof;

I then finished stripping the paint on the drivers side - all completed now apart from a few corners the stripping wheel wont fit into.

Shiny door

Dash is trial fitted to see where it needs trimming to to sit flatter against the car;

I have now used 4.5 polystrip discs to get to this point, got another 5 on order which will finish the car hopefully.

Feel free to ask any questions.

42.5 hours

Images
    A little progress when I got in from work, my 50mm Roloc discs arrived today so I can now grind stuff in corners more easily.

I thought I'd chisel off the filler over the gutter before dinner as the stripper disc had removed 90% of it already. This filler had been done by the rodshop before it came to me but I wanted to see what had been covered up to make sure whatever I paint wont go bad in 6 months.

Oh F*** It's a LOT worse than I expected

What is worse is the rodshop has sprayed over all the suspect(?) areas with some godawful rubbery silicon type underseal that is difficult to remove and will make any repairs 10 times as hard

This is what was bodged over;

You can see the awful grey rubber 5hit sprayed over it in the photo. Pretty pi55ed off with the bodge done here, even the filler was not stuck very well and the gutter was half full of the stuff in lumps.

Not a happy bunny tonight, if you can't do a job properly, then don't do it. This is going to be a pig to fix

I just hope the passenger side is not as bad.

Images
    Great read, following this with interest.

Sent from my SM-G770F using NSRA mobile app

Who cares If It's glass or steel, It's still a hot rod.

Images
    I didn't know it was being restored and there had been so much restoration needed on this Pop,well done Mark and thanks for posting it up on here
    Last edited by Captain Scarlet; 13-07-21 at 10:33 AM.

Wikid thread Mark, cracking tea-break read mate. ~ Can't wait for lunch-break.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Images
    Yes, there was/is (more to come) a bit of mission creep

Images
    Next bit

Cleaned it up as best I could on the inside, but access is pretty restricted If it was not for the grey rubber 5hit sprayed all over it it would be basic finger sanding.

Passenger side not quite as bad, but its not too good.

Drivers side cleaned a bit;

as was passenger side;

Passenger side outside;

To console myself I stripped the whole of the passenger side of the car;

That's the whole car stripped now apart from door returns, door inner edges, bootlid gutters & roof gutters.

Then had another look at the roof. I pondered drilling out the spotwelds and removing the gutter, but I've heard that this often destroys the gutters.

Then I though about maybe spotwelding a shaped bit of steel behind it after chopping out the worst of the rust. This still would be really difficult to weld though and there is a lot of lead loading right by it.

I think I'm going to take the easy route and do a modern 'bodge' on it. I think with a lot of cleaning up and very careful removal of the top layers of rotten metal and a intensive dose of Hydrate 80 that using modern epoxy panel bonding adhesive I can bond new steel inside the roof to make it solid again. This avoids the welding and lack of access to grind welds back - not to mention any distortion and the fact that the metal is paper thin.

The gutters themselves are in really good condition, its the bodywork behind them that has rotted so although it's not a perfect solution it should be good enough to last another 20 years if I do it properly.

45.5 hours

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post
    Got a few photos of it back in it's heydays, as it was first done back in 1979;

A photo I took of it around `79, possibly at Chelsea from memory...

Name:  File0239.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  40.2 KB
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    Nice one Brian, one more for Phils collection.

My 50mm Roloc discs arrived today so I could sand the welds on the last bit of bulkhead repair at last, not perfect but nothing a thin skim of filler wont fix.

I tried folding a couple of strips of steel at work today - this was done purely from guesswork as I took no measurements last night.

Not a bad guess! needs a longer leg for the lower part but pretty close for a trial go. I can use my new shrinker stretcher to put a curve in it to match the body.

Tonight I'll have a go at carefully cutting the rot out on the outside without cutting the inner roof skin.

Thanks for taking the time to upload these Mark. Really enjoying seeing the progress
    Zetec powered pop ON THE ROAD!!!

Images
    No problem Glyn, glad everyone is enjoying it.

Tonight was spent cleaning up the rotted areas, all the awful gunge was stripped off the inside back to bare steel and the outside was carefully attacked with the 1mm cutting disc to slice out the expanded rotted out gutter skin to expose the rotted roof layer underneath.

This was then stripped back with a big rotary wire wheel dug in as hard as I could to remove all the loose rust and any caked in rust. The roof channel also received this treatment - exposing yet more filler stuffed in rust holes and covered in the grey rubbery gunge again

The whole lot got treated with a good dose of Hydrate 80 worked into all of the nooks and crannies.

48 hours

Images
    Been doing research and 3M do a nice structural bonding adhesive that will be total overkill to do the roof repairs. Will need to get some ordered.
    I also got a little box of electrical components today for the wiper delay - did not realise it was a self assembly circuit board kit, still - it will be fun to make.

Tonight I'm having a break as the ecxzema on my hands is driving me nuts (caused by cold/over washing & wearing nitrile gloves)and I'm playing electronic lego

The wiper delay kit arrived and it's in self assembly form, so soldering iron is out!

Images
    And all assembled, just need to test it now.

48.5 hours

Images
    You might notice all my post start with 'tonight's progress' etc, this is because I tend to do 9-11pm most days on it.

No photos tonight as it was just welding up more holes in the floor mainly.
    I did strip out both door locks as the drivers one only worked from the outside and had been bodged with wire around the lock at some time in the past.
    Simple fix as a part had bent over so it needed the rivets drilled out and the bent part welded back in the correct position. Bonus was that a spring washer was missing, I looked in my box of spring washers and amazingly I had an original exact same spring washer spare from one of my old locks!

50.5 hours

Night off tonight but I did a little at work today.

This is the repaired but not assembled door lock I was talking about yesterday;

I made up some new repair section for the roof, that should be plenty I hope!

and I spent lot's of Phils money buying the metal bond adhesive after chatting with their tech dept.
    It's strong stuff, shear strength is 22-24N/mm2 - 3200-3500 psi.

and I folded up some sections for the bootlid gutter repair. I was going to weld these in but the metal bond adhesive will be perfect for these as well - should save many hours of welding/grinding.

The scabby gutters are here, not too bad for nearly 70 years old.

More tomorrow

Images
    Phil came over today today so we set to removing the engine. Once we had got the prop off and Phil had removed the heater and the gearshift while I undid the engine and gearbox mounts it then took all of about 60 seconds to remove

I left Phil to clean up the lower bulkhead section,

But he got carried away and cleaned a fair bit of the chassis as well. I then welded up yet more holes in the lower bulkhead, and Phil said to me - maybe next week we can drop the front crossmember & suspension off so he can take it away and clean it up and repaint it. Looks like my obsession of doing everything is rubbing off on him

I did then say he will end up taking off the Jag rear end and cleaning/painting that as well, as you can't do one end and not do the other!

While Phil was doing that I was stripping the paint out of the bootlid gutter and also stripping the paint & rust out of the sills.
    Removable sills makes life much easier

The insides of these were treated with a good dose of Hydrate 80;

I also finished the door lock off which now works perfectly, Phil was very pleased with that as it had never worked properly for the last 30 years!

56.5 hours

Images
    Not much photo worthy today as it was mostly a welding day. Bulkhead is now almost done, it still needs stripping back a bit more in the corners and where the column comes out needs chopping out and new metal put in.

Then I welded up 196,000* holes in the floor so now there are no more holes left!**

* this might be an exaggeration

** this may not be true as I found another couple as I packed up!

62 hours.

Images
    Tonight was fabrication night. Thought it was about time we put some bits back on for a change.

I started with some 1.5mm sheet steel, cut to size with my trusty corner cropper.

Which started like this;

Then it got folded in my bench vice folder - these are so useful if you don't have one I recommend you got one as they will fold up to 4mm steel.

Which give you folds like this;

And with a bit more cropping and filing and the addition of some 5mm steel rivnuts they look like this.

These are for securing the lower edge of the dashboard, I will possibly add a middle one but we are having a central switch panel so it can wait until that is fabricated first. They were welded on the lower dash tube here;

Then I spent the next hour & a half working out how to fit the wiper motor up in the dashboard. I've shortened the bundy tube and got a mount tacked in here - this is the MkII mount as the first was going to mount off the bulkhead, but half way through I though the crossbrace tube was a better place to mount from. It needs more work and we need the proper mounting rubbers as the ones I have are perished.

This should be almost entirely hidden by the dash once it's back on.

64.5 hours.

Images
    more fabrication tonight

Wiper mount is progressing but needs a bottom mount.

The vice folder made short work of some 3mm plate steel;

Which got welded to the main bracket. It has some rubber that will be bonded to the bottom to stop noise.
    All finished and welded in.

Dash fitted back, it will only need a small cover plate fitted to completely hide it. Phil should be happy with that.

First bit of bling goes back, polished stainless bolts for the bonnet rod mount

Then we turned to this - mmmmm spaghetti mmmm

The rest of the session was spent designing a bracket for it to mount up next to the wiper motor. It's mostly fabricated now so photos will be put up tomorrow.

67 hours.

Images
    More fabrication tonight (again).

Fuse board mount is done - a bit heavy duty but I had to use what I have to hand in the metal bin, so it's 20 x 3mm angle with some 5mm rivnuts fitted. Backplate then bolts to these.

And all welded into the car;

Dashboard back on and it's nicely hidden;

But easy to see to check fuses if you look underneath;

Yesterdays view;

and todays version - it's the little details that make the bigger picture;

I then made a start on the boot gutter repair sections, first half stretched here;

And clamped in place - happy with that fit, I'll need to cut out the rotted section next.

69.5 hours.