Thread: Radial Tyres

NSRA member

Radial Tyres

Just putting some feelers out here, and sorry if this may appear to be a dumb question, but I've just got my first rod and really am struggling to live with the crossplys. I'd like to know what other people would replace them with since as said I'm struggling a bit to find alternatives sub £1,000 +

Car's a 30 Model A, with fenders, running whitewalled 8.20 and 6.70 15's at the moment.

Are you after whitewall tyres or black?
    Real steel

NSRA member
    Images
    Whats the problem with the plys? Lots of folks running them without problem. Tyre pressure is a major factor, and of course, everything needs to be correct, eg toe etc.

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using NSRA mobile app
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by crumble View Post
    Are you after whitewall tyres or black?
    Not really fussed if I'm honest, so long as they are high profile. Most 75 profiles seem to be for off road 4x4's. Ergo, I wasn't sure if I was missing something as to what other people use.

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Whats the problem with the plys? Lots of folks running them without problem. Tyre pressure is a major factor, and of course, everything needs to be correct, eg toe etc.

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using NSRA mobile app
    Tramlining I'd call it, which is inherent with all crossplys as far as I'm aware. Yep, would be interesting to know what pressures people are running, I tried dropping the back to 26 and kept the front at 30 per some advice I got at a show, but I still feel like I'm a passenger as opposed to in total control of the car. Steering box is new and no slop on the front at all, in fact it's been really well put together. Not sure about toe in/out, but I thought the way the control arms work on an A that it will never be perfect anyway due to suspension travel changing it. Maybe it is just where we live as we have a lot of country lanes with pretty bad surfaces, once I'm on good tarmac it's not too bad.

Edit meant 26 on the back
    Last edited by Geejay; 25-06-22 at 05:17 PM.

NSRA member
    https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/foru...83c01cb06ab292

Worth a read.. some amusing opinions, not too many votes for cross-plys but an interesting comment from the guy on the last page who has driven around Monza.

Sent from my 2201116PG using NSRA mobile app

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC ZL1 View Post
    https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/foru...83c01cb06ab292

Worth a read.. some amusing opinions, not too many votes for cross-plys but an interesting comment from the guy on the last page who has driven around Monza.

Sent from my 2201116PG using NSRA mobile app
    Makes interesting reading, which seems to reinforce that it's not just me!

If crossplies were any good we'd still be using them ! They work fine if you have the car set up for crossplies and you drive within what they are capable of .Thye give lots of notice when they even start to approach their max level of grip ...I had loads of producers from local cops to prove that back in the 70s when they were still fairly commonplace. THEN you get them wet and it all changes On the other hand some cars simply need crossplies to get the right look and stance.
    Galations 6:7

NSRA member
    Just ordered a set of Galaxy narrow whitewalls. They were the closest I could get on the OD to the Firestones. Hopefully I'll not have buggered up the looks or the stance

Quote Originally Posted by Geejay View Post
    Just ordered a set of Galaxy narrow whitewalls. They were the closest I could get on the OD to the Firestones. Hopefully I'll not have buggered up the looks or the stance
    it'll almost certainly drive much nicer so look at it this way, you can't see the looks or stance when driving and you did buy it to drive right?.........

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    it'll almost certainly drive much nicer so look at it this way, you can't see the looks or stance when driving and you did buy it to drive right?.........
    LOL - yeah spot on
    Last edited by Geejay; 26-06-22 at 10:22 AM.