Thread: T. for me.

T. for me.

Alan Spittle here, to start with I am well into my Saga years, I am a Contracts Manager for a very large M&E company, and have a very very understanding wife Carol
    Name:  Alan.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  51.2 KB
    I got into Hot Rods in 1970/1 and had built my first car by 1974 which was a Ray Christopher “C” Cab. I learnt a great deal during this build as we all probably do first time. During the next few years having this car did introduced me to all sorts of different and wonderful people.
    Name:  Spittle & Son 1.jpg
Views: 4117
Size:  30.1 KB

At one show in particular I met and became great friends with the late and great John Bonham, and his family.
    In 1974 I went to the American nationals, when we travelled from Long Island New York to St Paul’s with Ray Christopher and Sebastian Rubbo, an East coast legend with his 36 roadster, who we met through the American NSRA. Our journey was with the Bronx Rodders and we travelled the 1600 miles with a guy name Trash can Tom in his 1936 Chevy sedan, picking up various Rodders on route.

In 1976 I sold my “C” cab and bought another from John Bonham, this was Andy’s Instant T.
    Name:  andy_1.jpg
Views: 2899
Size:  19.4 KB

As this had never been registered in the UK I put a replacement engine in it, as the original Cub Barnett engine had been taken out and put into a black Corvette, when it was on the road I drove it for great 2years.

1978 I went to Columbus to the Nationals and met my then rodding heroes, Andy Brizio and Lil John Buttera (were we discussed his old “C” cab which I still had);

While there I fell for a Center Door “T”. bought it, and then shipped it back from Kitchener Ontario where it was from, and have still got it. When I got back to the UK I had to sell Andy's T to buy the Center door which paid for the car and the shipping.
    The Center door has been rebuilt three times to date, first debut Belle View 1980. I then got married we had a family, so Rodding was put on the back burner much like a lot of other people. The second rebuilt was because the car had been stored and not used, we went to Billing 1998 which got the Rodding bug going in me again, and then to its present state debuting at Billing 2002. Highlights for me owning the “T” is, that we used it as the wedding car when we got married and when it was featured as the front page pullout cover on Street Rod Builder magazine in the States in 2004, (coals to Newcastle and all that),
    Name:  Street Rod Builder Mag March 2004.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  39.5 KB

and this year 2007 we went for the first time to the Euro Nats which was a hoot.

Jumping back to 1999 I purchased back Andy’s “T” from the same guy I sold it to twenty years previous and had to rebuild a good part of it to get it back on the road again as it had not been used, I also had the Andy’s name put back on the sides and front like the original in gold leaf as this had been taken off. I got in touch with Art Himsl and sent him over some pictures of the C Cab and he used them on his web site 28years after it had been originally painted. However I found that I was concerned when I took out the car for fear of damaging the wonderful famous paint. So I sold it again. It is in safe hands and lives in a bubble.

2003 I bought a 37 coupe from Endicott New York and this has been undergoing various changes since I have had it, i.e.: lowered, blown engine white walls lots of bits etc. this car had some history when I bought it as it was stripped and rebuilt in the late sixties early seventies and put in mothballs as the owner had died. I soled the 37 in 2011 and have bought a 27 Model T Coupe. I am currently building this a little more radical than the Center Door, it's chopped and channeled etc. I also have a 1927 Stock Model "T" Coupe. An now the my ultimate I have a 1941 Ford COE, which will be the next project.

I like the build up side of Hot Rodding, I carry out as much of the work on the cars that I can, and draw on the help of friends when necessary, not to good on the body work repair side, so this area I let someone else do, but still get involved in all the preparation thats required for the paint etc.

Hot Rodding has introduced me to people who have now become close friends at home and around the world, and in some cases travelling companions. This is one great hobby which I have had and enjoyed most of my life.

Alan, S
    Last edited by ALAN S; 02-09-12 at 02:17 PM.
    If you do it. do it in the center!!

My intro.http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=960

Images
    alan none of your links work besides that nice intro

Pictures

Hi Pete
    Not sure how to get the pictures onto the site. Do you know?

Alan

Al nice to see ya got on Ok, You old boys are invaluable LOL
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    they are working fine now I love the centre door T

Thanks, its part of the family now. been with me longer than the wife.

Images
    I've got cars that are part of the family but don't look as good as your T

What a great into, I remember seeing Andy's Instant T at Billing many moons ago, I thought it the best thing I had ever seen. You must have some great stories to tell. "Respect"

Smile

great intro alan with all the dates on it i dont feel so old,,,,ha ha ha ha ,,,
    so if t do the new t shirts ill put you down for one ,,,,,,edd

Images
    Good intro Al,youve got a lot of good memories there that a lot of rodders could only dream of having.
    Those dates are scary arn't they,i like the photo of you taken when the "American Graffiti" film was made LOL
    Ian

Yes to all three of you I have some real good yarns, and a few pictures too. I look at the dates and feel old, so treat me kind.
    Ian, I was one of the extras don't u know!, do you not possess an equity card as your Captain Scarlet.
    Edd, I'll have a tee shirt if you do a discount for old rodders, mind you it's Christmas and Scrouge is telling me to dig out the shirt I bought in 1978.ha ha.

NSRA member

Model t

Hi alan.

I was looking for you at billing, think u left early,
    I have decided to gat another rod, so i thought to myself why not ask the two people who have got rods that i have been admiring 4 years, is it 4 sale ??

Darren
    Only just found your comments on my intro, Sorry It's so late in replying. Nice of you to admire my cars.
    Which car are you talking about, sale wise the "T" or the 37 Coupe?

Cheers
    Alan

Alan isn't that spooky after us talking yesterday,

Quote Originally Posted by 33HEMI View Post
    Alan isn't that spooky after us talking yesterday,
    I tttthink we might be in the Twilight Zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!